1994 Suburban K2500 AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, when I called the parts house at my local dealer the other day, he didn’t offer me the original part number.

I called a different dealer today and low and behold, using my VIN, he was able to give me the original part number.

So, I googled it. Gmpartsgiant actually has it in stock. I placed the order today. Looking forward to seeing what they send me!!

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the part number.

Attachments

• 36510F5D-3F8C-4C18-AB55-DE946E27413A.jpeg
    36510F5D-3F8C-4C18-AB55-DE946E27413A.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the clutch cycling switch. It operates at relatively low pressures (25-44psi in operation).

That's the high-pressure cut-out.

Not on my 1998. Can't say for certain on yours.

On mine there's a temperature sensor there, in front of the condenser, that's used for a temp gauge that's built-in to my rear view mirror. You may have something similar.
Pulled the grill and relaxed the condenser yesterday. There is, in fact, a switch of some sort at the condenser. Not sure what it is. Going to look at schematics on ALLDATA later.

Attachments

• 559D518E-80E0-4C63-A831-F6076DCBF908.jpeg
    559D518E-80E0-4C63-A831-F6076DCBF908.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 10

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the grill and relaxed the condenser yesterday. There is, in fact, a switch of some sort at the condenser. Not sure what it is. Going to look at schematics on ALLDATA later.
There is no information about this switch on ALLDATA diy. Back to the drawing board.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There is no information about this switch on ALLDATA diy. Back to the drawing board.
I've found ALL DATA to be better for Mopar than GM, based on research at the public library (what I had to do when I didn't have a manual for the car).

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regrouping this week before another busy Saturday working on old SAWLTY!

Finally finished flushing entire system front to rear. We replaced condenser, compressor, orifice tube, dryer, high pressure switch at the back of the compresser, cycling switch on the accumulator.

Wasn’t sure how to reintroduce oil into the system. So, gotta come back off with the R4 compressor and place half of the 11oz of oil directly into the compressor. Half of the remainder will go in at the rear evaporator the other half at the front evaporator.

Also, ordered another set of washer seals for the manifold where it bolts back to the compressor.

After reinstalling all lines, I realized that I had moisture in the air compressor that I was blowing the flushed lines out with. Drained air compressor. So, going to break it back apart and blow the entire system out one last time.

Still waiting on OEM rear expansion valve from GMPartsGiant. Hope it gets here before the weekend. EDIT: Just checked and this part shipped today. Says should arrive by Saturday. Fingers crossed that it does!!

Also, discovered that I had purchased and installed the wrong dryer. Ordered the correct part. Should be here soon.

When we removed the grill, discovered that previous owner had installed a secondary transmission cooler. The fins are in pretty bad shape. Looks like before this cooler was installed it rolled around in the back of someone’s pickup for months before they decided to install it. Have a new one coming. Hoping this will improve on air flow thru the condenser.

Found my grille was cracked. So, found a new replacement for roughly $80. Unfortunately, shipping is about $130. So, going to pass for now. It’s on the list for future replacement.

Hoping to move my focus onto heater hoses this week while waiting on the final batch of AC parts to arrive—work schedule permitting!

Going to cut old pinch style quick connects from the factory pressed fittings/hoses and replace with new quick connects. Not sure which clamps I’ll use at this point. Possibly the heat shrink type that 1998_k1500_sub used on his rebuild.

I’m getting anxious. We have put a lot of work into this job. Fingers crossed we see real results.

Thanks for all of the the assistance given my forum members. Greatly appreciated. Will continue to update here.

Attachments

• B4CDB79F-6712-4571-9D45-B28C83590E42.jpeg
    B4CDB79F-6712-4571-9D45-B28C83590E42.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 10
  • 2C5D6D04-A8DE-4929-B2A8-7F739CB49F19.jpeg
    2C5D6D04-A8DE-4929-B2A8-7F739CB49F19.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 6267F2BD-016B-423C-B0EA-311A9C4418CD.jpeg
    6267F2BD-016B-423C-B0EA-311A9C4418CD.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 11
  • A56301D4-996A-47F0-BB06-3C7AF38AC53F.jpeg
    A56301D4-996A-47F0-BB06-3C7AF38AC53F.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure how to reintroduce oil into the system. So, gotta come back off with the R4 compressor and place half of the 11oz of oil directly into the compressor. Half of the remainder will go in at the rear evaporator the other half at the front evaporator.

Good stuff here. You've put a lot into this. I hope it serves you well for years.

I have a few comments.

About the oil...

I would put 4oz in the compressor.

I would put 4oz or more in the accumulator, so it's immediately upstream of the compressor upon initial turn on (just wetting the desiccant bag takes a fair amount of oil). As you charge it and refrigerant begins to carry oil away from the compressor, oil will be replaced once the refrigerant starts returning from the front system through the accumulator.

I might then put the rest directly in the rear suction pipe (if accessible) for the same effect as refrigerant starts moving through the rear system. Otherwise, I would put it in the accumulator.

Above... these aren't "hard" numbers, it's just my way of putting the oil in places where it can get to the compressor upon initial turn-on (which is likely a low-refrigerant condition, so little refrigerant / oil is flowing and the oil in the compressor is providing all lubrication)... then as refrigerant starts moving through the system (as you're charging it) it carries oil in from the accumulator to replace that carried out from the compressor.

After reinstalling all lines, I realized that I had moisture in the air compressor that I was blowing the flushed lines out with. Drained air compressor. So, going to break it back apart and blow the entire system out one last time.

That's good practice to keep the moisture out. For the moisture that's already there, I might simply put the vacuum pump on it and evacuate the system for 6hrs or more... there's nothing to lose with a long vacuum, as long as the system is tight and you're not sucking air / humidity into the system through a leak, elsewhere.

When desperate, I've used the gas from a 30# R134a tank to blow things out. It comes out dry! Nitrogen (have you a welder around?) would be fine too. Acetylene... not so good. Oxygen would be asking for trouble too.

In your pictures I saw open lines. Plug / cover them, somehow, to keep airborne dust / crap from finding its way into the system... unless your shop is like a paint booth. You don't need to be fancy (e.g., with proper fitting plugs, tho that's nice), just something. I've used Saran Wrap and blue tape, or Zip-Lok bags across the fitting and then tightly taped-down around the pipes. I've watched experienced people pay no mind to such things, but I think otherwise. You'll not find one AC service manual that doesn't address system cleanliness, the reasons for it, and how to maintain it.

That transmission cooler on the driver's side, it looks to be held to the condenser with those plastic tie-wrap-like thingies that basically apply the weight of the cooler upon the core tubes of the condenser (or the condenser's fins, which in turn bear on the core tubes). That just sounds like a bad idea. The condenser has other things it needs to do, not bear the weight of an adjacent cooler that's loaded with oil. I don't know what to tell you, other than to do it differently... if that means removing the cooler or finding another way to mount it.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited:

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, folks. 58 degrees at the vents. I’m overcharged by roughly 2 oz. Pressures at ambient pressure of 95 are roughly 55 and 300.

I went inside and let it idle for a while. I went back out the high side pressure was much higher. Spooky.

Thoughts?

As a side note….no fan hooked up at the rear unit yet, but the accumulator is definitely cold. So, I’ll call it a win on the rear unit. Will see what happens when the rear box is reinstalled.

Attachments

• E7AAA93B-04D8-4D9D-B9D1-189D04734E19.jpeg
    E7AAA93B-04D8-4D9D-B9D1-189D04734E19.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 7051912A-5EA1-4355-B662-5476CF6C6FEE.jpeg
    7051912A-5EA1-4355-B662-5476CF6C6FEE.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 6

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I've been busy lately and, while I have been active GMT400 (although only a bit), I haven't taken time to respond.

(1) It's good to hear you've got the AC running

(2) Compare your notes with another Suburban owner, who has posted his results recently here:

This is a LENGTHY thread that covers the evolution of the OP's (@Wildblue19 's) Suburban dual-AC from R134a to R152a. Before and after comparisons are made in the thread to @L31MaxExpress dual-AC system, e.g., with pressure and temperature measurements that you may wish to compare to your own.

Unfortunately I don't have notes on my own Suburban's AC system performance that I can offer for comparison.

Last edited: