1994 k2500 Overdrive Shutter

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by 94cheyanneguy, Mar 13, 2019.

Sponsored By: Car Parts
  1. 94cheyanneguy

94cheyanneguy Newbie

Hey guys! Been having a weird issue with my truck that I'm having some problems figuring out. Basically, for about a year now I've been having this issue where in TC lockup in either 4th or 3rd gear if I give it any more than 1/4 throttle the truck will shake violently. You can see what it's doing here: I've already figured out it's a lockup problem because if I just tap the brake lightly or accelerate to a point where shifts it will come out of it.

Now, I've already done quite a bit to try and get rid of the problem. Originally I thought this was an issue with a missfire so I've replaced a good amount of parts. Including:
    1. Map
    2. Tps
    3. Temp sensor
    4. Egr
    5. Intake gasket
    6. Pcv
    7. Spark plugs
    8. Spark plug wires
    9. Cap/rotor
    10. Any questionable vacuum lines
    11. Throttle body rebuild
    12. Fuel filter
    13. Transmission fluid

Don't want to keep throwing parts at this thing. It definitely runs a whole lot better now which is great but I just can't get rid of the shake. Doesn't get any worse, just doesn't get any better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also I'm new to this forum so if this is posted in the wrong place let me know and I'll take it down

2. Keith Ciaccio

Keith Ciaccio Newbie

Just a shot in the dark but when was the last time you changed out the transmission fluid including all the fluid in the torque converter?

I had a Crown Vic that would do the same thing and the fix for those was to totally drain out the fluid including all the fluid in the torque converter and that shutter disappears..

3. 94cheyanneguy

94cheyanneguy Newbie

I replaced the fluid in the pan and filter probably a month after it started and it didn't change it at all. The fluid was definitely pretty dark when I did it. I checked it yesterday and it's not as red as I'd like but it's not too bad yet. Might attempt a full flush next time. Thank you!

4. Keith Ciaccio

Keith Ciaccio Newbie

You have to drain the torque converter for the problem to go away. Not just pan and filter..

5. 94cheyanneguy

94cheyanneguy Newbie

Update: did a full flush and it's much better now. Barely does the shake any more and when it does it's very tame. I'll do another flush in a few weeks and I imagine the problem will be fixed. Thank you everyone

6. letitsnow

letitsnow I'm Awesome

Thanks for the update. So many people come on forums asking for answers to a problem. They get enough help to fix the problem, then they leave and never tell anybody it is fixed. At least until the next problem, then they magically reappear haha.

DerekTheGreat likes this.
  7. 94cheyanneguy

94cheyanneguy Newbie

I know that bothers me so much. Didn't want to leave someone having the same problem hanging haha

8. Oldblue98

Oldblue98 Supporting Member

This is a good friction additive for the shudders, read up on it there is lots of good reviews. More than likely with your fluid change and a tube of this it will take care of the shudder. And if after the fluid and shudder fix additive you still have the shudders you may need to do a new torque converter. I am not usually big on snake oil treatments but this one I believe in.
    a20791e12acf970f2631be_l__99854.1412370525.350.350.jpg

9. the4300guy

the4300guy Newbie

1994 was introduction to carbon clutch material for pwm 60e's. I'm wondering if the pwm function of the tcc lockup is what caused it because the converter was slipping. I'm not sure if the 80E was pwm that year or not but if it is it could be related. I mean that's what I see in the video anyway.