1994 k1500 roller cam question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could someone tell me what cam timing gear and cam retainer and roller cam and also dist gear to use as a straight forward replacement in place of the factory flat tappet on my 1994 k1500 350 tbi stock engine?I am not wanting to change fuel pressure or chip just want a plug and play roller cam change that will wqork with factory computer , i believe i found the spider hold down and lifters at summit racing. The most economical way would be appreciated. The years of parts and application would help greatly then i can hunt for the right parts.the engine is staying all stock b ut with a roller cam.I know i have to tap the bosses for the hold down spider and front cam retainer,i think i can handle that if i new the size,and would it matter if i drilled too far and went threw on the spider bosses if i sealed the bolts with sealer and cleaned the gallys of metal? Thank you so much for any help.Jeff

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a '92 Caprice 5.7L service-replacement crate engine in my '88 K1500 for something like 18 years. Z-E-R-O problems with driveability on the stock computer and chip after I replaced a defective O2 sensor.

Therefore, I KNOW that the '92 Caprice cam will work. It will also give you approximately zero performance improvement. The cam is ultra-mild just like the stock cam.

HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMSHAFT

INTAKE LIFT-.359" * EXHAUST LIFT.384" *

INTAKE DURATION @.050-186.5 * EXHAUST DURATION @.050-193.8

LOBE CENTER SEPERATION -110.3

CAMSHAFT MECHANICAL SPECS:

INTAKE VALVE OPENS @ -16.9 BTDC * INTAKE VALVE CLOSES @ 23.4ATDC * INTAKE LOBE CENTERLINE - 110.3

EXHAUST VALVE OPENS @ 25.6BBDC * EXHAUST VALVE CLOSES @ -11.9 ATDC * EXHAUST LOBE CENTERLINE - 110.3

The Caprice used flat-top pistons for another quarter-point of compression, too. The "most economical way" would be to buy a used-but-usable 1991--1993 Caprice/Roadmaster/Fleetwood Brougham 5.7L TBI engine from the Treasure Yard, and swap the whole engine. The downside is that most B-bodies used the 5.0L not the 5.7L, so they're somewhat scarce. GM quit selling the service-replacement engine ten-plus years ago.

All small-body HEI distributors have a melonized distributor gear, therefore they're all compatible with OEM roller cams IF (big IF) the gear is in good condition to begin with. New gears need to be de-burred with a jeweler's file before use.

There's plenty of aftermarket support for the roller-cam engines, so you could buy "everything" to fit a '92 Caprice 5.7L from GM or from aftermarket suppliers. You'd need the timing chain and gears to fit the roller cam, the cam and lifters, the retainers and spider, and shorter pushrods.

Of course, your block must have the tall lifter bores, the thrust-plate pad on the front, and the threaded bolt-holes for the dogbone spider.

How much MORE camshaft you could get by with is another story; and of course the cylinder heads are the swirl-port junk that kills higher-rpm power. The Summit "TBI" heads are probably a better upgrade than a camshaft change. If you use pushrod guideplates, the pushrods MUST be hardened. Otherwise, you're stuck with self-guiding rocker arms like stock.

Last edited:

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Schurkey you really helped alot and im glad i can use my distributor gear out of my 350 was really not sure on that. Also my spider holes arent tapped yet but i am going to try to tap them myself i think ,Your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated!!!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got away with a F/Y-car LT1 cam in my old TBI 350 G20 van on the stocjkchip. Had perfect driveability and a fair bit more power.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also my spider holes arent tapped yet but i am going to try to tap them myself i think
I'm guessing you already confirmed your engine does have the bosses for the spyder? A lot of 94 - 95s didn't have them...

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it does have the bosses but they are not tapped the block is original to my 94 reg cab shortbox the casting is 16093638 built h 27 93 has 193 tbi heads.