1994 K1500 ECSB "The G Wagon"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

All finished! I feel like I’m 25 again with a great sound system. If only my bones felt like that every morning, I’d be set. :D

Also, I’ve read people’s comments on here about there being no mounting tab to secure the lower left corner of the Retrosound face like the stock head unit has. Here was a fix I came up with. I’m not going to ever use the OEM stereo again so I didn’t mind cutting into it. I used my reciprocating tool with a metal blade to cut out the factory tab from the head unit and a piece from the back of the unit. The tab screwed into the original place behind the AC control and I used some 3M two sided mounting tape on the tab cut from the back of the unit for the lower left rear of Retrosound face to affix to. After a little bending of the cut tab I was able to get both lower left and right side of the new face to look even. And yes, I teach physics and I’m a perfectionist.

Last edited:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Some more frame clean up this past week. I forgot to get a before pic, but the first pic from the other side gives you an idea of the nasty undercoating that’s coming off and some spot rust. I was even able to save the frame tag. :)

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
With school starting and trips to Athens, GA to see our son (and the Dawgs) , I haven’t had a lot of weekend time to work on the G Wagon. However, I did finish the driver side frame this weekend. Here’s before, during, and after pics.

Process same as before: Scrape away old undercoating, Grind rust away and gunk down to fresh metal, Treat frame with Corroseal rust converter, Sand any brush marks away, Prime, Light sand , Three coats of VHT frame and roll bar satin black epoxy

And yes, the frame tag is on upside down. As many of you know, that’s the way it would have come from GM as the frames were upside down on the assembly line (hence the tag would be right side up when read). I flipped the other side’s tag in the previous post as well.

Last edited:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of fixes, this is pretty trivial. However, every time I looked at my dash I saw a sag in the AC/Cassette trim. The gap across the top was uneven and it irked me. So, I used some 1/2”x1/8” steel bar stock with some JB Weld to straighten it out. It may not be noticeable to everyone, but I can definitely tell the slight difference. The gap looks a LOT more even now.

Before

During

After