1993 TBI shortblock with Vortec heads/intake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtrux

Reaction score
I have a 1993 TBI 454 K2500 that's in need of a new engine. The thought to go back to a stock enine was entertained, however, I'd like more and I'm not really convinced that TBI is the best way to get there.

My current thoughts are this: rebuild short block with higher compression pistons. 96+ Vortec heads/intake. Roller cam for Gen V block. Comp and wiring will be custom from my buddy who specializes in this sort of thing.

And viola! lol

Anyways, has anyone done something similar. Was searching around and didn't find it specifically so wanted to ask.

Also, are there any aftermarket heads that will work with the Vortec intake? I'm not to well versed in the Gen V and VI engines so I'm not too sure what interchanges and what not beyond what I've already specified.

Please don't tell me to swap a 8.1 or LS anything, that's not what I want to do.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1993 TBI 454 K2500 that's in need of a new engine. The thought to go back to a stock enine was entertained, however, I'd like more and I'm not really convinced that TBI is the best way to get there.

My current thoughts are this: rebuild short block with higher compression pistons. 96+ Vortec heads/intake. Roller cam for Gen V block. Comp and wiring will be custom from my buddy who specializes in this sort of thing.

And viola! lol

Anyways, has anyone done something similar. Was searching around and didn't find it specifically so wanted to ask.

Also, are there any aftermarket heads that will work with the Vortec intake? I'm not to well versed in the Gen V and VI engines so I'm not too sure what interchanges and what not beyond what I've already specified.

Please don't tell me to swap a 8.1 or LS anything, that's not what I want to do.

I know where some big block marine intakes are. Put a good set of heads on it and a marine intake. If you are in an area where you do not need EGR it would work well.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He might also still have the style of intake manifold Lingenfelter put on the 605 cubic inch suburbans he built.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You had me at 605 cubic inches. . .
YEP! A full 9.9 liters. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with 3.73 gears. Still got 13 mpg average as tested. I assuming a launch in 4 HI to get that kind of a 0-60. I still wonder what PCM he used to run dual 3.5" mass airflow sensors.