1993 Silverado removing grill chrome to paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oven cleaner ain't what it used to be. If you use a scraper, the paint comes off in chips, but not much better than without the oven cleaner.

"Do not use near chrome, aluminum, etc, etc,"
Not sure why. It sure ain't doing anything.

It's even taking a second go-around to clean my wife's roasting pot.

I'm leaving the oven cleaner on my grille overnight. If I have a puddle of grille plastic in the morning, I'll let you know.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After six hours, it's done nothing except clean the dirt off the old, chipped paint. No effect on the chrome. It took five applications to get my wife's roasting pot clean. Might have to do with it being off-brand - the local grocery only had the cheap stuff.

I may hit up the Whamalart tomorrow and see if I can get some real Easy-Off.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This would be good info. I heard the stuff from the dollar tree is a bit caustic. That was supposed to be the stuff you spray on your driveway but if left more than 15 seconds you'll have only sand left

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I was an idiot and forgot to get oven cleaner when I went shopping Friday so I'll end up waiting another week lol! I did clean the carburetor on the pressure washer so it now runs like it should and finally got all the crap washed off the aluminum wheels. The old girl cleans up nice

You must be registered for see images attach

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just used a razor blade from a utility knife. Took a couple of hours, but it worked.

That's the way I started doing mine lol!