1993 Silverado removing grill chrome to paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped to a GMC grill on my truck because I found a deal on a very good used one. The chrome is peeling off my original Chevy grill so I came up with the bright idea to strip the rest of the chrome off and paint those parts body color. Well where the chrome is already loose it's coming off ok but the parts still stuck good not so much lol! I tried adding a little heat from a heat gun and not really sure that helps a whole lot. Also tried a scotch brite pad on a die grinder but the chrome is on top of what looks like copper and it's very easy to gouge the grill plastic. So is there some better way to take the rest of the chrome off or is it just a long process of peeling it off in little chunks? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd probably peel off what you can, and sand down the rest. Start with 80 or 150 grit, move to 220 then to 480, then 1000. If you're painting, you can stop there, if you aren't, move to 2000 grit to finish it, then polish and buff.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
This stuff won't eat up the plastic grill shell?
I've seen people use it on the plastic chrome on the inside of headlights, takes the chrome right off and leaves the plastic untouched. Also heard other people say it doesn't touch the chrome on metal bumpers. I don't think these plastic grilles have the same strong plating on it as the bumper, but for $4 and a scrub brush it seems worth a shot.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen people use it on the plastic chrome on the inside of headlights, takes the chrome right off and leaves the plastic untouched. Also heard other people say it doesn't touch the chrome on metal bumpers. I don't think these plastic grilles have the same strong plating on it as the bumper, but for $4 and a scrub brush it seems worth a shot.

Thanks I'll give it a try!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my grille is off, the paint over the chrome is flaking, and the chrome itself is flaking. Also, I burned stuff in the bottom of my wife's 5-gallon pot and I need to use the oven cleaner on it as well. If I get time I'll try it today and let you know if it works.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, my grille is off, the paint over the chrome is flaking, and the chrome itself is flaking. Also, I burned stuff in the bottom of my wife's 5-gallon pot and I need to use the oven cleaner on it as well. If I get time I'll try it today and let you know if it works.

Thanks! It'll be Friday at the earliest before I have time to get to the store and get some oven cleaner.