1993 Sierra "Abigail"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the paint job from hell, my first go the gun started spitting halfway through so I had to strip the passenger side and tailgate back down, bought more and am waiting for the rain to stop at night so I can finish. Spent more than I would like on paint so however it comes out this time it'll stay. But the flat black looks bad ass, hopefully have some pictures soon.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
This is the paint job from hell, my first go the gun started spitting halfway through so I had to strip the passenger side and tailgate back down, bought more and am waiting for the rain to stop at night so I can finish. Spent more than I would like on paint so however it comes out this time it'll stay. But the flat black looks bad ass, hopefully have some pictures soon.
Sounds like the air pressure was off, or the paint was drying too quick. What kind of reducer you using? If it's hot where you are like it is here, get some slow drying reducer. I always use an old style gun, and run it at 40psi. If you're using an HVLP gun, I have no idea.
@Hipster would be more helpful on the painting tips though.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spitting? Sure it's not moisture in the air supply lines? Condensate can collect in an air line that's laying on a cooler floor. The smaller the compressor the more it runs the bigger the moisture problem in the air is. Are you straining the paint either through strainers or 3M type disposable cups? Those little tiny disposable ball type air line filters aren't really all that effective but better than nothing. A wore out compressor that's passing oil into the air tank can also wreck your day when it comes to paint work. The gun balls will collect moisture until they're saturated and then spray water through the gun like a garden hose.

Paper strainers from an auto paint store are a little different than what you find at Lowes or horror freight.
When I painted at home with a small compressor I used one of these with a dedicated air line after the filter and use the filter and air line only for painting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not the end all be all of filtration, commonly referred to as "toilet paper dryer",but a roll of 1000 Scott's fits right in as a filter. Cheap enough to put a new roll in frequently with the ball type at the gun for the last line of defense.

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I will also be needing a filter for when I paint Stitch. @Hipster if you have a link of any sort it did not work correctly.

Like he said it sounds like a moisture problem with-in the lines.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will also be needing a filter for when I paint Stitch. @Hipster if you have a link of any sort it did not work correctly.

Like he said it sounds like a moisture problem with-in the lines.

Try this one, This filter is made in a couple different versions depending on air line hook ups, Motorguard M-30 I think Is the one you can attach an air hose directly to.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score

Try this one, This filter is made in a couple different versions depending on air line hook ups, Motorguard M-30 I think Is the one you can attach an air hose directly to.
I am probably going to do one mounted to the wall by my hose reel as well as one attached to my paint gun too. I am worried about moisture getting into my paint.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am probably going to do one mounted to the wall by my hose reel as well as one attached to my paint gun too. I am worried about moisture getting into my paint.
the motorguard has a bracket where you can mount it on a wall. The motorguard is the best thing I have found short of a multi-stage setup or refrigerated air drying. It's a diy get you by solution. But a I have said I only use it while painting with an air hose that's dedicated to the filter. Taking an old oily hose full of condensate and putting it in front of filter does no good.

The multi-stage set up I have now was about 6 bills and it's still not the end all be all of filtration.

Last edited: