1993 K3500 SRW 6.5 NV4500 Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92_Bahama

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking at a 9200GVWR ECLB K3500 with a NV4500 & 6.5 Diesel for a back up tow pig while I restore my 2000 K3500. I am not sure if it is a 3.73 or 4.10 truck, have not been able to look at the truck yet. I pull all of my trailers in 4th gear at 60MPH, do you think an old mechanical 6.5 is up to the task of pulling 10K & under? I was always told to stay away from 6.5's but this truck has me thinking... So all you 6.5 fanatics let me know what you think!!

93detroit

Reaction score
The answer is complicated. If the motor is solid (good head gaskets,oil pressure, and harmonic balancer), with a few upgrades it may work fine depending on your local geography. Flat ground and rolling hills would be fine with a manual. Steep climbs without a running start, not so much. Make sure the cooling stack is clean and in top condition. Install a 2000 model year water pump with a Hayden severe duty fan clutch (spin on), and a duramax fan. That will keep it cool. If you want more power, install a pyrometer and boost gauge, a Chinese hx35 (12-15psi max), and turn the fuel screw in a quarter turn. Keep egt under 1,100 and have fun. DON'T lug it! It will pull right down to 15-1600rpm, but the head gaskets won't like it.