1993 K2500 Suburban - tow pig!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Front, luckily enough this truck only has front heat.

I've probably done 40+ of these, still doesn't make it any fun on a worknight!

I'm weird I suppose, I enjoy planning projects during the week and completing them on the weekends. I hate doing "emergency" projects on the weeknights. LOL!

Stuff like that is why I like having 2 of these trucks, so I can ignore one if it takes a dump. I did get caught with my pants down this Spring though when the rear main puked on the dually (right after having new tires installed) and I lost a tire on the 1500. No spare 285 out back and had a helluva time running one down locally. If it's sunny and warm and daylight past 4:30 I don't mind fixing stuff on weeknights, but yeah the unplanned stuff is super annoying as I usually psyche myself up over time to deal with stuff whenever I plan to do it, be it weekday or weekend.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Man I totally get that, emergency projects are never fun!

Ha, right! I've got a fleet of other vehicles to drive, but after all the time and money into this truck lately. I refuse to let a leaky heater core throw a wrench in my Thanksgiving week and stop me from driving the truck for another two working days. lol!

Stuff like that is why I like having 2 of these trucks, so I can ignore one if it takes a dump. I did get caught with my pants down this Spring though when the rear main puked on the dually (right after having new tires installed) and I lost a tire on the 1500. No spare 285 out back and had a helluva time running one down locally. If it's sunny and warm and daylight past 4:30 I don't mind fixing stuff on weeknights, but yeah the unplanned stuff is super annoying as I usually psyche myself up over time to deal with stuff whenever I plan to do it, be it weekday or weekend.

I feel and understand that all too well, unfortunately i'm not someone to just let a vehicle sit with issues. I tend to make sure all of my stuff is in top notch shape and ready to drive to California tomorrow, if need be.

On the Psyching yourself up, I find the older you get (atleast it took me until 30), you seem to dwell and drag your feet on projects. Atleast that's how I am after 20+ years of literally working on projects, almost full time aside from work.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I feel and understand that all too well, unfortunately i'm not someone to just let a vehicle sit with issues. I tend to make sure all of my stuff is in top notch shape and ready to drive to California tomorrow, if need be.

On the Psyching yourself up, I find the older you get (atleast it took me until 30), you seem to dwell and drag your feet on projects. Atleast that's how I am after 20+ years of literally working on projects, almost full time aside from work.

I agree with both sentiments...I used to get super excited about knocking out projects. Now I just want to get in my DD and hit the key and go. Planned maintenance is one thing, but I no longer look at an emergency fix as a challenge, it's a nuisance, and I can't stand when something is wrong with my vehicles.

Also, the older I've gotten, I no longer buy the cheapest part to get it done. Buy the quality, and the one that makes it an easy 1 time job!

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I agree with both sentiments...I used to get super excited about knocking out projects. Now I just want to get in my DD and hit the key and go. Planned maintenance is one thing, but I no longer look at an emergency fix as a challenge, it's a nuisance, and I can't stand when something is wrong with my vehicles.

Also, the older I've gotten, I no longer buy the cheapest part to get it done. Buy the quality, and the one that makes it an easy 1 time job!

Exactly the same here, speaking of quality parts!

I've recently debated just buying the brand new Ram 3500 Crew Cab, Laramie package with a Cummins and having a simple turn-key pickup.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly the same here, speaking of quality parts!

I've recently debated just buying the brand new Ram 3500 Crew Cab, Laramie package with a Cummins and having a simple turn-key pickup.

I price new trucks out every year or 2 and I just can't bring myself to spread my butt cheeks open that far. Even a $30k used truck? No thanks. They're great when they're someone else's.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
That sticker price though!!!!:puke:

Around 73,000 for what i'm after. With Rebates it'll likely be 65,000 before any down payment.

I price new trucks out every year or 2 and I just can't bring myself to spread my butt cheeks open that far. Even a $30k used truck? No thanks. They're great when they're someone else's.

I usually buy a new truck / car yearly, I prey on old dealer stock, slow moving units and couple those with credit card rewards points, membership rewards points and other benefits.

I can usually buy a brand new car / truck, 0 down, drive it for a year and 30-36k miles and then trade it in for zero loss.

The Used market is ridiculous right now, price wise. It's 20% cheaper to buy a brand new truck, than the same year, used truck with 10k on it.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Fixed a couple niggling issues today...

Fixed the door strap for the rear passenger barn door, now it stays open when fully extended.

Replaced the drivers front door power lock actuator, high resistance across the coil was causing partial operation and making the key tumbler difficult to operate during locking or unlocking.

Ordered a correct 1994 gauge cluster for the truck, as i'm using a 1994+ 0-80psi sweep oil pressure sending unit. Most people classify the clusters as 92-94, which is incorrect. As 1994 is a one year only cluster that has a 80psi oil pressure gauge, 92 & 93 use 60psi gauges.

Took the truck on a drive up to the Iowa line yesterday for some business, drove back down and visited Menards about an hour north of my house then stopped by in Kansas for a walmart stop.

So far, i'm getting around 330 miles to 21 gallons of fuel (half tank), this calculates to 15.71 mpg, this was with 750lbs in the cargo area cruising 80-85 up i29.

I've got a small starter drag issue when starting, so i'll replace the donor starter with a brand new AC Delco unit tomorrow. Maybe next weekend i'll pull the driveshaft, install new joints and transfer case output seal, as it's leaking slightly.