1993 K2500 Suburban - tow pig!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Went ahead and tore the new(er) 5.3 down today, inspected everything. Gave it a standard 5.3 rebuild (pressure washer).

Used this as an excuse to finally buy the Milwaukee M12 die grinder i've been waffling on for nearly the past year.

You must be registered for see images attach

Made quick work of the gasket surfaces!

What's life without some orange seal-a-gasket?

Also did brand new Sealed Power LS7 spec lifters, before tossing the milled 243 heads on.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Part two, due to upload limit.

Added a new Cloyes timing set, ICT billet cam seal / retainer plate and melling M295HV high volume oil pump.

Also did front and rear main seals, along with new pan gasket.

Now, the engine is ready to go into the burb. I'm planning on installing it next weekend!

Definitely should add a bit of power to the truck.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Weird, its like watching myself do an LS without doing any of the work...haha. Chain and oil pump....always! The inside of that oil pan looks like garbage after you've got it tuned and are happy with it. Give it the Kreen wash for the insides!

Nice work man!

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's your take on Knock Sensors on the 5.3? Have you had any issues or need to replace them? Looks like it would be a helluva lot easier there with the intake off. I did them on my 04 Yukon XL and they are already bad again.....apparently AC Delco on Amazon doesn't actually mean AC Delco....LOL.....Do you think they make much difference even? I know the purpose and what they are supposed to do, but what an asspain to get to.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, decided on a stock cam. I drove a healthy 5.3 swapped truck the other day and talked myself out of an aftermarket cam.

Should have also driven a cammed swapped truck just to be sure. What's the CR gonna be? Forgive me if I missed that.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Should have also driven a cammed swapped truck just to be sure. What's the CR gonna be? Forgive me if I missed that.

I've got a relatively mild cammed 6.0 swapped 90. I enjoy the drivability of the suburban over the shortbed. Two entirely different worlds.

The whole purpose of this swap was to increase drivability, economy and remain near the power of the prior 7.4 TBI engine.

By calculations, including the headgasket. I should gain 3/10ths of a point of compression. So around 9.8:1, which is closer to the L33 or "5.3 HO" spec. With a likewise cam spec.

Somewhere around 310hp/335tq.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I didn't mean a donkey djck cam, my friend did a 206/212 with a tighter LSA on his LH6 and said he gained torque from an idle to redline. That's how I like to "cam" trucks.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
What's your take on Knock Sensors on the 5.3? Have you had any issues or need to replace them? Looks like it would be a helluva lot easier there with the intake off. I did them on my 04 Yukon XL and they are already bad again.....apparently AC Delco on Amazon doesn't actually mean AC Delco....LOL.....Do you think they make much difference even? I know the purpose and what they are supposed to do, but what an asspain to get to.

Funny mention knock sensors. The burb currently has NEW Delco sensors in it and last week it popped a Check Engine Light for the knock sensors. The rear sensor has already failed. ‍♂️