1993 K1500 Double Din/ In FACTORY HOLE INSTALLED!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So it isnt a daily driver, .But i put a double din where the factory radio was. Most ppl told me it wouldnt work. Proof is in the pix! Yes its a hack job, but it will serve its purpose. Still got to brace it but its in !! Check itt

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm surprised you didn't spray foam it in place.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Factory 2005 silverado is a din & half. Fwiw; u can buy a unlocked one for about 150 bucks

This is not true. 03+ are a little larger than a double din. 99-02 are 1.5 and use the same mounting as 95+ GMT400's.

Looks pretty good man. I want that pioneer double din for my sierra! Of course it's a 98 and will fit. But its somewhat a pretty penny isn't it? I was about to pull the trigger on one a couple years ago but was hesitant to spend the money on a stereo I didnt need and instead got scammed on a chinese cheap POS that was never shipped. I got refunded but still...

Its hard to argue with something that just isn't working out for ya and I can totally see why it would be a pita down there. I probably wouldnt be able to comfortably reach it.

Is there a radio that's like 1.5 din with a screen? Lol

Al

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/RB1install.html Chrysler parts, but super clean install IMO. However double din kits are readily available for 95+ and are much more refined than the 88-94 versions (and yes I have one in my 93).

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is not true. 03+ are a little larger than a double din. 99-02 are 1.5 and use the same mounting as 95+ GMT400's.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/RB1install.html Chrysler parts, but super clean install IMO. However double din kits are readily available for 95+ and are much more refined than the 88-94 versions (and yes I have one in my 93).
Id like to see a pic of it in your 93 for sure

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That install isn't half bad. I could be super picky and ***** about the color difference and the imperfect match of curve around the bezel and opening, but honestly, for an OEM swap off another brand, it fits damn well. And as far as it being Chrysler parts, as the article mentioned, Alpine made those units for them. Some of those HU's actually sound damn good for factory.

Richard

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was there in July and will respectfully disagree with you sir.
Lol u must not have had the blower on ur truck yet then! Gotta drive faster! My summer is spent driving my jeep or a quad so never really gets hot.... especially since I lived in fl for 25 years, used to it I guess.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks pretty good man. I want that pioneer double din for my sierra! Of course it's a 98 and will fit. But its somewhat a pretty penny isn't it? I was about to pull the trigger on one a couple years ago but was hesitant to spend the money on a stereo I didnt need and instead got scammed on a chinese cheap POS that was never shipped. I got refunded but still...

Its hard to argue with something that just isn't working out for ya and I can totally see why it would be a pita down there. I probably wouldnt be able to comfortably reach it.

Is there a radio that's like 1.5 din with a screen? Lol

Al
Metra makes a half decent looking kit, u cut out factory hole a bit bigger and there is a close to form fitting trim ring. Think it's 9003g maybe? The complete bezel that changes the factory hole to a double din and moves the hvac controls down a bit is only about $130, it's primered and needs to be painted to match and you definitely need to use the factory clips off old bezel cause the ones supplied with kit are garbage. Have to put some felt tape on a few spots to stop squeaking too. I gave up on my dash looking great, my subs have just obliterated it, planning on a full custom dash, probably a 12" tablet for stereo and a 8" for gauges, that is once I figure out what the best way to integrate the analog gauges to tablet. Probably use efi live , haven't explored it too much yet,but daily new parts are falling off my dash so it's gotta be soon. Glovebox fell off on my way home for lunch today even!

And don't waste ur money on anything but a Pioneer touchscreen, atleast it's my opinion. Maybe an alpine,but the jvc and Kenwood's are slow as far as interface, sony is kinda oddly setup, and any chinese one with Android is horrible sound quality and laggy. I swear they are still using primative android is!

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info @Ehall8702 I actually have the kit, wiring harness and the angled antenna adapter. I bought it anticipating the cheap android I got scammed on. Occasionally i search Ebay for pioneers, i bid on a couple but for me it's hard to change something that isn't broke. At least I can plug in an aux cable to my phone. Actually I have a little bluetooth adapter in it right now, so that almost accomplishes what I need, just not everything I want. LOL. it's good to know I'm on the right track though.

Al

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info @Ehall8702 I actually have the kit, wiring harness and the angled antenna adapter. I bought it anticipating the cheap android I got scammed on. Occasionally i search Ebay for pioneers, i bid on a couple but for me it's hard to change something that isn't broke. At least I can plug in an aux cable to my phone. Actually I have a little bluetooth adapter in it right now, so that almost accomplishes what I need, just not everything I want. LOL. it's good to know I'm on the right track though.

Al
Imho a cheap $125 avh110bt is better than a $250 unit of anyother brand....I personally run a avh600ex and it's a great unit. Never in the 25 years I have been installing have I been disappointed with a pioneer unit

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the double din for 75.00 used it looks like new though lol..

Pioneer used to make a 1.5 din, I had one in my 1978 Monte Carlo.
I've never seen a 1.5 din touchscreen but they had some that were cd and tape player if that tells ya anything about WHEN they were making them lol. A few companies made em, even aiwa back then.. I personally thought they looked goofy but they "filled the hole" alot better than a kit and a single din did.