1993 K1500 383 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRGaz

Reaction score
Hey everyone - new to the forum here and was looking for some help with a project. I have searched the forum trying to find any information but wanted to start a thread specific to this build in hopes of getting some advice from any of you that can help. Here's what I have: 1993 Chev K1500 with some sentimental value. I ended up with this pickup after a close friend passed away and wanted to do something fun and build something that has some good power and is fun to drive. In no way will this be a daily driver or pulling a trailer - this is more of a fun to drive to the dump with my son kind of truck and burn up some tires along the way...maybe drive it to run errands every now and then.

Below is a list of what has been done / parts added...in no way am I dead set on anything (intake for example) but would like to keep the foundational pieces in place if possible (rotating assembly, heads, cam, exhaust).
  • 350 block, 4 bolt main, .060 over, clearanced for 400 crank
  • Aluminum heads; 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust, 190cc runner, 64cc chamber
  • Edelbrock 3505 MPI conversion - again...not sure this is what would be best; open to some suggestions here
  • Edelbrock 3636 injectors; 35lb / hr
  • Edelbrock 3581 fuel pump
  • GM 7.4L 2" TBI (no injectors...running injectors in the Edelbrock intake)
  • Comp cam 12-262-4; duration @ .050 is 218 Intake and 224 exhaust; 114.0 LSA
  • Decent exhaust - hooker super comp 2806 into 2 separate cats flowing into 1 high flow muffler / tail pipe
  • Bigger radiator to help with cooling
  • Trans is built
The roadblock I am running into is the program for injection and transmission. While I may be able to fumble through data loggging, adjusting tune, repeat process, I am afraid that it may / could take me a LONG time to get it dialed in. So...here is my question: does anyone have any experience with a similar build that can provide me with some advice / guidance on where to start with a tune. I have looked at some of the guys that write programs on the existing ECM (great for transmission control) and even the Sniper EFI route lately with a separate trans controller. Let me know what you guys think...any experience you have had with a similar build...or suggestions on how to maximize what I've got. Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • 350 block, 4 bolt main, .060 over, clearanced for 400 crank
An actual 400 crank? Must be a two-piece rear main seal block. Won't be suitable for OEM-style hydraulic roller lifters.

I would use a newer block, with the roller-lifter provisions, and an aftermarket crank. There's no reason to use a flat-tappet cam any more.

• Aluminum heads; 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust, 190cc runner, 64cc chamber
The Summit TBI heads are a bolt-on improvement--and--they have the OEM goofy bolt angle to match the stock or stock-replacement intake manifolds.

www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108

• Edelbrock 3505 MPI conversion - again...not sure this is what would be best; open to some suggestions here
  • Edelbrock 3636 injectors; 35lb / hr
  • Edelbrock 3581 fuel pump
The 3505 was discontinued long ago. Do you have a source for buying one used? Consider buying a more-modern, more-sophisticated fuel injection system.

There's no need to spend extra for an "Edelbrock" fuel pump--which may also be discontinued. The standard replacement Vortec pump should work. I put an AC-Delco EP241 in my truck, the only consideration was that the old pump had a larger outlet nipple than the new one--I had to clamp the hose very securely to make it seal.

• Comp cam 12-262-4; duration @ .050 is 218 Intake and 224 exhaust; 114.0 LSA
Will require tuning. "I" would not spend money for a flat-tappet cam.
  • Decent exhaust - hooker super comp 2806 into 2 separate cats flowing into 1 high flow muffler / tail pipe
Why spend for two cats? High-flow Y-pipe into one cat, one muffler, one tailpipe.

The roadblock I am running into is the program for injection and transmission. While I may be able to fumble through data loggging, adjusting tune, repeat process, I am afraid that it may / could take me a LONG time to get it dialed in. So...here is my question: does anyone have any experience with a similar build that can provide me with some advice / guidance on where to start with a tune. I have looked at some of the guys that write programs on the existing ECM (great for transmission control) and even the Sniper EFI route lately with a separate trans controller. Let me know what you guys think...any experience you have had with a similar build...or suggestions on how to maximize what I've got. Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
I can't help with that.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with a significantly larger cam, and I ended up installing a Sniper. It absolutely does not tolerate vacuum leaks, and exhaust leaks cause wonkiness as well. The Holley TPS is chintzy crap, and it sounds like most of them fail soon after installation. Fortunately the factory GM TBI TPS swaps right in. I haven't done any tuning on my Sniper, and it's dialed itself in pretty well. Still, I plan on getting it professionally tuned after I get around to installing the distributor.

1993 is the year of the swap from 4L60 to 4L60E, so I'm assuming you have the 4L60E. That complicates a Sniper install. The only thing the computer controls on a 4L60 is the lockup, and that can be replaced with a vacuum switch. If you have the 4L60E, you're going to spend money on a controller, and I'd take the opportunity to research a 4L80 swap.

JRGaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

This has been a drawn out build and most of what I listed above is already in place...good or bad. On the rotating assembly, it's a little old school and has a 400 crank w/ 2 piece rear main and flat tappet lifters. That said, it's in place and I'd like to stick with it if possible. I'm not sold on the Edelbrock MPFI intake / kit though.

Erik - what intake manifold did you go with? My heads (also already in place) will accept either bolt pattern. Let me know what you used. Also, which sniper kit did you end up choosing? As far as the trans goes, it has the 4L60e and has already been built...again, I'd like to keep that since I've got money already into that set up. That said, I am open to a controller to help manage the transmission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the Summit 226018 and the regular Sniper kit, not the master kit. There's a bunch of other small bits you'll need. I sent you a pm, but I really need to take pics and type it all up for a sticky thread.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

This has been a drawn out build and most of what I listed above is already in place...good or bad. On the rotating assembly, it's a little old school and has a 400 crank w/ 2 piece rear main and flat tappet lifters. That said, it's in place and I'd like to stick with it if possible. I'm not sold on the Edelbrock MPFI intake / kit though.

Erik - what intake manifold did you go with? My heads (also already in place) will accept either bolt pattern. Let me know what you used. Also, which sniper kit did you end up choosing? As far as the trans goes, it has the 4L60e and has already been built...again, I'd like to keep that since I've got money already into that set up. That said, I am open to a controller to help manage the transmission.
Edelbrock MPFI kit works perfectly fine with the newer TBI PCM. I tune them in real time with a Moates AutoProm and TunerProRT.

JRGaz

Reaction score
L31...which Edelbrock MPFI kit do you like? Also, the tune is where I need some help. I just don't feel confident enough to take on tuning this...