1993 GMC Suburban 2wd 3.42 gears,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesT

Reaction score
What part of Texas are you traveling to? I thought it's pretty flat here. Actually, I didn't think it's hilly or anything between North Dakota an the Red River borderline.

I've only been as far as Tulsa, so I don't really know.

Just stay out of the fast lane. Definitely would also recommend LT series tires.
Well..., to your place, we are going for coffee and you are going to show me around. You are right, I know it is flat, just not wanting to burn out this truck on the way, as I know it will be great to drive around Texas. Going through Bridgeport, then to Greater Houston area.

jamesT

Reaction score
I'd agree with the transmission, half tons are only ment to tow in 3rd, not OD, line pressure isn't there. In od. That in mind 3.42 is probably better for running in 3rd than deeper gears. Also higher ratio gears are also stronger gears than lower ones. I would be careful of turns and stopping, even with trailer brakes, you never know when they can malfunction and will probably be when you need them. My $0.02
That is good to know, regarding 3.42 running good in 3rd. We will go slow, America is beautiful. Checking brakes and wiring to make sure. Might end up taking the big block if I can get it running right. ( I have a 454, 7.4 2500 burb as well.)

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is good to know, regarding 3.42 running good in 3rd. We will go slow, America is beautiful. Checking brakes and wiring to make sure. Might end up taking the big block if I can get it running right. ( I have a 454, 7.4 2500 burb as well.)
The BBC would be more comfortable suspension wise towing. And of course torque. What year is it?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
having recently completed a 7k trip around BC and Yukon with my 95, 5.7, 3.73's towing about the same weight, relatively quite roads due to time of year, here's my take ...

pretty tough to go slow, you gotta keep up with traffic.

speed limits are just a suggestion, usually 20km's over is the norm, i suspect its worse in the states.

steep hills weren't the issue, cause everyone pretty much has to slow down.

the area where i found it the most stressful, were those long small up hill grades that go on for km's, once you start to lose momentum you're done, especially when speed limit is 110km and you're fighting to keep it at 80 and everyone is doing 130 ...

the other area was having a head wind, especially if it was blowing pretty good, really brutal on the left foot, gas guage and speed.

get used to diesels with a rig 4 times the size of yours cruise by getting about the same fuel mileage and the transport trucks, they haul a$$ .....

i doubt i'll be doing any long hauls down the states with it.

the 95 got a work out for sure, replacing head gasket currently ....

i would try and pick times when things aren't quite as busy for travel if possible.

drive safe.

Last edited:

jamesT

Reaction score
having recently completed a 7k trip around BC and Yukon with my 95, 5.7, 3.73's towing about the same weight, relatively quite roads due to time of year, here's my take ...

pretty tough to go slow, you gotta keep up with traffic.

speed limits are just a suggestion, usually 20km's over is the norm, i suspect its worse in the states.

steep hills weren't the issue, cause everyone pretty much has to slow down.

the area where i found it the most stressful, were those long small up hill grades that go on for km's, once you start to lose momentum you're done, especially when speed limit is 110km and you're fighting to keep it at 80 and everyone is doing 130 ...

the other area was having a head wind, especially if it was blowing pretty good, really brutal on the left foot, gas guage and speed.

get used to diesels with a rig 4 times the size of yours cruise by getting about the fuel mileage and the transport trucks, they haul a$$ .....

i doubt i'll be any long hauls down the states with it.

the 95 got a work out for sure, replacing head gasket currently ....

i would try a pick times when things aren't quiet as busy for travel if possible.

drive safe.
Thanks bud, appreciate the input. I have driven throughout western canada, several times, I mean many, many times. Familiar with those roads and the driver's and as know in BC, those with beginner tags-Alberta plates.

Wind is my worst enemy. Just don't know the capabilities of that vehicle on that route while towing. I mostly drive at night, while the family sleeps.

I really appreciate your insight.

I just have only towed with this truck a few times in the flat chested prairies.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think the 1500 Burb will handle it, but the big block 2500 Burb would handle it a lot better! Towing a trailer with your family in the truck, is exactly what 2500 series big block Burbs are designed for.
My 1500 Burb can handle a U Haul trailer, even the 2 axle 6'x12' loaded up. I tow in D instead of OD, that's what we did last time we towed. Going to Austin and back with loaded Burb and trailer, to a car show. Worked great. Next year we'll probably take the crew cab though, since it's a 1 ton. Hopefully by then I will have a camper shell on it, so I'll have a full 8' load space, plus room for the family to ride in.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, why are you considering towing it with the 1500? I assumed that's all you had!

Towing it with the 2500 Suburban would be 'Mo better. And less likely to break something drivetrain out across the country.

With family and stuff in the 1500 suburban and your trailer pin weight, are the numbers even working out for you?

jamesT

Reaction score
Yeah, why are you considering towing it with the 1500? I assumed that's all you had!

Towing it with the 2500 Suburban would be 'Mo better. And less likely to break something drivetrain out across the country.

With family and stuff in the 1500 suburban and your trailer pin weight, are the numbers even working out for you?
Well, not sure about the issues with the 2500. Sure, it is a no brainer towing with that one. The numbers are tight. But I think that is good for me being diligent in preparation and not bringing too much stuff. Plus, once we're camped, I'd rather drive around in the 1500. Gas mileage..