1993 GMC Suburban 2wd 3.42 gears,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesT

Reaction score
What is my towing max? Am I pushing it with a family of four, trailer with a max weight of 5200 lbs.

*-Looking at a new trailer with a dry weight of 4450

I believe my max towing for the vehicle is 6 or 6500.

I have a trans cooler, 460le.
Everything is stock. I know, don't tow in OD. Headed from North Dakota to Texas.

Looking for flattest route. Am I asking too much of the old gal? Just redid the entire front end. Everything looks tight and tidy.

Anyone with experience/advice? Thank you.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I towed a 3800 lb Jaguar on a 2000 lb open trailer with my '99 K1500 Suburban, but it felt overloaded. I drove it low and slow, taking plenty of time for acceleration and braking. I ended up blowing the upper intake manifold gasket and losing all my coolant in the middle of Kansas.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have it, check your owners manual for towing capacity. Didn't they only give GCWR back then?

I'd say you will probably be over a bit. How does it do now?

Weakest link is probably your transmission, then probably your axle if you have the 10 bolt. 3.73 or 4.10 gears will probably be better if you had those. 3.73 seems like was a common gear ratio on the later Suburbans, most likely because they are heavier.

I don't know if 4.10s puts you past the peak HP of your TBI though?. Not too familiar with TBIs. Run a rpm/tire/ratio calculator.

Last edited:

jamesT

Reaction score
I towed a 3800 lb Jaguar on a 2000 lb open trailer with my '99 K1500 Suburban, but it felt overloaded. I drove it low and slow, taking plenty of time for acceleration and braking. I ended up blowing the upper intake manifold gasket and losing all my coolant in the middle of Kansas.
Thanks for the feedback. I went slow when I towed, but it is flat here. I am more concerned with the braking.

jamesT

Reaction score
If you have it, check your owners manual for towing capacity. Didn't they only give GCWR back then?

I'd say you will probably be over a bit. How does it do now?

Weakest link is probably your transmission, then probably your axle if you have the 10 bolt. 3.73 or 4.10 gears will probably be better if you had those. 3.73 seems like was a common gear ratio on the later Suburbans, most likely because they are heavier.

I don't know if 4.10s puts you past the peak HP of your TBI though?. Not too familiar with TBIs. Run a rpm/tire/ratio calculator.
The manual gives a higher GCWR for 2wd. It tows good here, going slow, etc. But it is flat here. This burb is more of a car, the first 'suv'. 5 bolt wheels, the light package. Especially with the 3.42. I don't mind put-putting and enjoying the scenery at a relaxed pace. Had the transmission checked. Everything was good. Thank you.

jamesT

Reaction score
Make sure you have LT tires and they're pumped up to their max pressure. I've peeled the tread off underinflated 10 ply rated tires before.
Have C tires on it now, plush ride. Putting tow rated tires now. Thing is, this model came with 5 bolt, 15 inch rims. Old style like the Explorer roll over days. Hard to find LT up here in that size range. 235/75/15. Thank you for your help.

jamesT

Reaction score
By the way, was going to put helper air bags to level out, always towed with the equalizer hitch/bars. But it appears I may be underpowered, towing with what is essentially a big family 'car'.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What part of Texas are you traveling to? I thought it's pretty flat here. Actually, I didn't think it's hilly or anything between North Dakota an the Red River borderline.

I've only been as far as Tulsa, so I don't really know.

Just stay out of the fast lane. Definitely would also recommend LT series tires.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WAakest link is probably your transmission, then probably your axle if you have the 10 bolt. 3.73 or 4.10 gears will probably be better if you had those. 3.73 seems like was a common gear ratio on the later Suburbans, most likely because they are heavier.
I'd agree with the transmission, half tons are only ment to tow in 3rd, not OD, line pressure isn't there. In od. That in mind 3.42 is probably better for running in 3rd than deeper gears. Also higher ratio gears are also stronger gears than lower ones. I would be careful of turns and stopping, even with trailer brakes, you never know when they can malfunction and will probably be when you need them. My $0.02