1993 C1500 ride height question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKFengineer

Reaction score
I have a 1993 C1500 Std cab/short bed truck and it has the factory "sport suspension", looks like an SS454 truck... It's on stock springs and I want to drop it two inches from where it sits now but given the age of the truck I'm wondering if it's already settled an inch or more and if I drop it with 2 inch springs I won't get the amount of drop that I want.

To that end does anyone know what the stock ride height should be front and rear. I assume the easiest would be to measure from the center of the wheel to the center of the wheel arch. But I'm not sure if that is the correct method of measurement.

Thanks

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
37 1/2" From the ground to the lower edge in the center of the fender,
"Z" height is measured on the front control arm on both the C and K models. It is not measured from the ground to the fender lip. The main reason for this is that different trucks came with different Wheels and tires and not all tires have the same diameter, C trucks came with 15" wheels and tires and K trucks came with 16" wheels and tires.
The "Z" height is measured from the center of the control arm mounting bolt to a specific point on the wheel end of the control arm. On a K truck it is the lowest point on the spindle and on a C truck it is to the flange on the ball joint. The measurement is 73.6 mm +/- 6. mm

SKFengineer

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, so I have a C truck with the 15 inch wheels and I understand what you are saying with the "Z" height. When you describe the flange on the ball joint are you saying where the ball join flange contacts the A-arm or the lowest point of the ball joint closest to the ground. I also assume on a stock truck the ball joint flange would be lower than the center of the control arm mounting bolt. So as an example the ball joint flange could be 15 inches (381mm) from the ground and therefore I would expect the center of the pivot point to be around 17.89 inches (454.6 mm) from the ground. Correct?

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, so I have a C truck with the 15 inch wheels and I understand what you are saying with the "Z" height. When you describe the flange on the ball joint are you saying where the ball join flange contacts the A-arm or the lowest point of the ball joint closest to the ground. I also assume on a stock truck the ball joint flange would be lower than the center of the control arm mounting bolt. So as an example the ball joint flange could be 15 inches (381mm) from the ground and therefore I would expect the center of the pivot point to be around 17.89 inches (454.6 mm) from the ground. Correct?
Nope.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Okay, I was going to say, nope what... Thanks for your help.
From the ground to the lowest point on the inside of the ball joint flange my '88 c 1500 measures 8.5 inches. The measurement to the center of the control arm pivot bolt the ground should be approximately 11.5 inches according to the factory service manual. ( My '88 does not currently have an engine in it)

Last edited:

SKFengineer

Reaction score
I just took my measurements. It would appear in 28 years my truck hasn't settled in the least... I have the SS454 15 wheels with 275/60 R15 tires. The measurements from the bottom most ball joint edge to the ground as described is 8 inches even. The measurement from the ground to the center of the pivot point on the front bolt of the lower A-arm is 12 inches even. Seems like if anything based on the above information I'm sitting 0.5 to 1.0 inch higher than stock. The only thing I've really done that would take weight off the front of the truck is use a crate motor that has aluminum heads which I believe is about 50 lbs lighter.

Last edited: