1993 6.0 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPIII

Reaction score
What did you get the 6.0 out of? Looks like a truck engine (taller)? I've got a 91 2wd I'm looking into doing either a 6.0, or 6.2 with a 6 speed auto, not sure yet if tranny will fit in the truck. Looks like you did a great job on the install!

The engine came out of a 2013 2500 Silverado. A six speed would be sweet. I’ve got my truck going and am happy with the setup. I just need to change the gears from 3:42.

HPIII

Reaction score
Some more pictures of my build. I purchased derale electric fans and they fit perfect and clean

You must be registered for see images attach

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a nice clean install.

I assume the AC compressor wouldn't clear the frame in the original Gen III position.
Honestly the second belt for the AC is kinda hokey and a PITA to change on the T800.
You probably already know this but there are high mount Sanden 7176 "Mini" AC compressor brackets for the RH side of the LQ4 or LQ9 engines that align the AC compressor so you have a single serpentine belt for the everything.

If you're going to run a washable cone get an Air Raid filter and box it up so it's taking air in from outside rather than right from the radiator fan. The K&N dosen't have a stellar reputation for filtration and sucking in the hot air from the radiator will raise the octane requirements to keep her from knocking.
It'll be easier get more power from each gallon of fuel with cooler intake air because the PCM won't be pulling fuel and timing to keep it from knocking.
If you can find one... the K47 filter box from the 98-2000 6.5L turbo-diesel, that takes the big AC1300C cylinder filter, mounts on the RH inner fender between the firewall and the battery. It takes in air from between the inner and outer fender rather than hot air that just went through the radiator. The AC1300C cylinder air filter for the 97ish and later 6.5L diesels is huge... I bet the Air Raid and or the K&N cones will fit inside without modification and the 1300C actually flows a massive amount of air for a paper filter... probably way more than your 365 needs.
The other option is to build a custom box behind the LH headlamps for the cone filter pretty close to where you have it right now or for a flat panel Air Raid washable element sized for the dirtymax, again, right behind the LH headlamps.

Last edited:

HPIII

Reaction score
That's a nice clean install.

I assume the AC compressor wouldn't clear the frame in the original Gen III position.
Honestly the second belt for the AC is kinda hokey and a PITA to change on the T800.
You probably already know this but there are high mount Sanden 7176 "Mini" AC compressor brackets for the RH side of the LQ4 or LQ9 engines that align the AC compressor so you have a single serpentine belt for the everything.

If you're going to run a washable cone get an Air Raid filter and box it up so it's taking air in from outside rather than right from the radiator fan. The K&N dosen't have a stellar reputation for filtration and sucking in the hot air from the radiator will raise the octane requirements to keep her from knocking.
It'll be easier get more power from each gallon of fuel with cooler intake air because the PCM won't be pulling fuel and timing to keep it from knocking.
If you can find one... the K47 filter box from the 98-2000 6.5L turbo-diesel, that takes the big AC1300C cylinder filter, mounts on the RH inner fender between the firewall and the battery. It takes in air from between the inner and outer fender rather than hot air that just went through the radiator. The AC1300C cylinder air filter for the 97ish and later 6.5L diesels is huge... I bet the Air Raid and or the K&N cones will fit inside without modification and the 1300C actually flows a massive amount of air for a paper filter... probably way more than your 365 needs.
The other option is to build a custom box behind the LH headlamps for the cone filter pretty close to where you have it right now or for a flat panel Air Raid washable element sized for the dirtymax, again, right behind the LH headlamps.

I need to look into the sanden compressor/conversion. I completed a lq4 swap in a 1990 Z71 I had and used the Dirty Dingo bracket for the R4 compressor. The bracket was very nice but it resonated when the compressor was on and made a growling noise. Thanks for the tips on the air filter. The current one is a cheap eBay one that I bought to get it going and I planned on doing something different at some point.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All of the brackets I've seen are flat plates. The harmonic vibration singing to you, at certain RPMs under load, isn't surprising.
They could benefit from a ring of steel or aluminum, whatever the bracket is made of, standing up at 90° to the bracket and welded along the centreline of the bracket away from the bolt heads to stiffen it up... and maybe a ring welded along the outer edge trailing back along the compressor body as well. If you can't fit the forward brace ring all the way to the ends with socket clearance to the hex head bolts try it with socket head Allen bolts. Socket heads let you nearly hit the outer diameter of the bolt head and still turn the bolts with the Allen key or socket. The bracing rib welded along the front wouldn't need to be very tall... maybe 3/4-1". You're just trying to increase the bending moment so it doesn't vibrate and sing to you.
It'll still want to twist some without some kind of strut on the back of the compressor. Adding a mount from the engine to one or more of the rear mounting ears near the back of the Sanden 7176 compressor would limit this kind of movement. Even the Harrison R4 would benefit from a strut off the tail.

Kbach

Reaction score
The engine came out of a 2013 2500 Silverado. A six speed would be sweet. I’ve got my truck going and am happy with the setup. I just need to change the gears from 3:42.

What ratio are you looking at going with? 3:73's? With my factory 3:42 & the 700R4 it gets moving fast, just not the grunt I'm looking for too!

Kbach

Reaction score
Some more pictures of my build. I purchased derale electric fans and they fit perfect and clean

Is that the engine management add on fuse block?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that the engine management add on fuse block?
Yea that fuse block with relays should control PCM and all engine sensors and such.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What ratio are you looking at going with? 3:73's? With my factory 3:42 & the 700R4 it gets moving fast, just not the grunt I'm looking for too!
I'm looking at going with a higher gear haha. I've got 3.73s and looking at 3.23 or 3.08s to help gas mileage.

3.42 to 3.73 almost seems like a waste with such little gain.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE