1992 instrument cluster needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckerguy

Reaction score
Do you have access to a treasure yard (junk yard) near you? You can usually nab them for ~20-50 bucks at one of those. Also, '92 to '93 would look at home in your truck. 1994 was the first year for the oil pressure readings to go from "0 - 40 - 80" vs the older "0 - 30 - 60".
I’m not sure if this is the place where I can ask a question if not can somebody please set me straight and put me in the right direction? I have a 1989 Silverado K 1500 with the monie gauges, I want to swap the whole cluster out with an instrument cluster from a 1994 that has a built-in tach,I know there are some wires that need to be moved in the pin connecter I’ve read a couple of forums on that plus watched a couple of videos well the cluster from a 1994 bolt directly into the dash I’m a 1989 Silverado?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the place where I can ask a question if not can somebody please set me straight and put me in the right direction? I have a 1989 Silverado K 1500 with the monie gauges, I want to swap the whole cluster out with an instrument cluster from a 1994 that has a built-in tach,I know there are some wires that need to be moved in the pin connecter I’ve read a couple of forums on that plus watched a couple of videos well the cluster from a 1994 bolt directly into the dash I’m a 1989 Silverado?
Nope - you're confusing a couple of different swaps. The 1988-1991 moonie gauges are most easily replaced with 1991-only needle gauges, however, you do have to move a few (3) wires around in the connector for the 1991 gauges to work on 1988-1990. Finding the cluster is the hard part as they only came on some 1991 models.

Now the 1992-1994 trucks all have needle gauges but they are a very different connector, wiring, and internal electronics setup - they rely on a separate speed sensor buffer module (we typically refer to it as a DRAC module) - obviously this cluster is much easier to find than the 1991 needle cluster, but is more work to swap into a 1988-1991 truck. You can do it, just more work. There's write-ups out there.. I have preserved an old one, hosted on my site, but I am not the author of the info: https://someotherplace.com/info/clusterswap/cluster.html

Since you're looking for a tach cluster be sure to get one from a truck with same # of cylinders as your engine, for the tach to read correctly (V6 or V8) and be sure to skip the diesel clusters...unless of course...you're a diesel. :)

Richard

Truckerguy

Reaction score
Nope - you're confusing a couple of different swaps. The 1988-1991 moonie gauges are most easily replaced with 1991-only needle gauges, however, you do have to move a few (3) wires around in the connector for the 1991 gauges to work on 1988-1990. Finding the cluster is the hard part as they only came on some 1991 models.

Now the 1992-1994 trucks all have needle gauges but they are a very different connector, wiring, and internal electronics setup - they rely on a separate speed sensor buffer module (we typically refer to it as a DRAC module) - obviously this cluster is much easier to find than the 1991 needle cluster, but is more work to swap into a 1988-1991 truck. You can do it, just more work. There's write-ups out there.. I have preserved an old one, hosted on my site, but I am not the author of the info: https://someotherplace.com/info/clusterswap/cluster.html

Since you're looking for a tach cluster be sure to get one from a truck with same # of cylinders as your engine, for the tach to read correctly (V6 or V8) and be sure to skip the diesel clusters...unless of course...you're a diesel. :)

Richard
Thank you so much! This is very helpful I appreciate it very much!

Oliver006

Reaction score
I have one. 972 282 6904 Mr. Tatum
My '92 K 1500 lost the left half of the dash lights. I pulled the cluster and installed all new bulbs and the left side is still not lighting up.
I am in need of a printed circuit but the easiest thing to do is swap a different cluster in. If anyone has a line on a '92 cluster w/tach shoot me a line please. Thanks.