1992 c2500 single cab body mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My cab mounts look rusted and I want to replace them all I see available is energy suspension bushings is it going to be a headache trying to get the old ones out?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably. You should prepare for that, anyway.

I replaced body mounts on a '68 El Camino; had to cut the body open in three places to re-weld the cage nuts. Some of the bolts were corroded down to 1/4" diameter from 7/16". It was a nightmare, even though I was successful.

But what an astounding improvement in vehicle dynamics. I could tell the body-frame was more rigid as I was lowering it back to the ground using the floor jack--didn't even need to drive the car to tell it was hugely improved.

By comparison, we replaced the four subframe-to-body mounts on Father-In-Law's '77 Firebird; the bolts zipped right out, no drama at all. Re-used the hardware because it was in fine condition.

On both vehicles, we used anti-seize on the hardware for reassembly, and reduced the torque value to 80% of spec due to the lubricant property of the anti-seize.

You've only got four bolts to deal with instead of ten or twelve. Heck, I should do the same with mine. (Four on a standard cab, six with extended-cab. I don't know about Crew Cabs.)

Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to "Paint, Body, Detailing; or some other category beside "Engine".

Last edited:

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably. You should prepare for that, anyway.

I replaced body mounts on a '68 El Camino; had to cut the body open in three places to re-weld the cage nuts. Some of the bolts were corroded down to 1/4" diameter from 7/16". It was a nightmare, even though I was successful.

But what an astounding improvement in vehicle dynamics. I could tell the body-frame was more rigid as I was lowering it back to the ground using the floor jack--didn't even need to drive the car to tell it was hugely improved.

By comparison, we replaced the four subframe-to-body mounts on Father-In-Law's '77 Firebird; the bolts zipped right out, no drama at all. Re-used the hardware because it was in fine condition.

On both vehicles, we used anti-seize on the hardware for reassembly, and reduced the torque value to 80% of spec due to the lubricant property of the anti-seize.

You've only got four bolts to deal with instead of ten or twelve. Heck, I should do the same with mine. (Four on a standard cab, six with extended-cab. I don't know about Crew Cabs.)

Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to "Paint, Body, Detailing; or some other category beside "Engine".
Just installed new cab mounts and it wasn’t too bad as there is access to them on the floor board and behind the back seat on the single cab