1992 C2500 Battery Cables Shot Can I make my own?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been having cranking issues and noticed my battery cables are damaged, can't find any online that are similar to the ones I have. I have some spare 1 guage cables (red and black) that I was going to run new, I am a little confused. I noticed the positive cable that runs to the starter has 2 cables one thick one and one thin one, they both go to the starter and they tie back together where the batter terminal goes. Can and should I run these separately? I already wired up the negative cable and ran a second 1 guage negative cable to the side panel like the original. I want to make sure I do this right so I don't burn my truck up lol, also I can't really find any videos online to do this on this kind of truck. I also can't find any oem cables.

NoDak2500

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the battery cables on a 1992, but if it's like the cables I just made for my 1994, the thick one goes down and bolts to the starter. The thin one on mine followed along with the thick one, but then ran up the firewall to the terminal strip where the fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse are at to supply constant power to all of the wires attached to the studs there. I ran both wires separately, running 1/0 to the starter and 2 ga to the terminal strip. Not sure if it's necessary or not, but since the thin wire had a fusible link in it, I'm going to install a 40 amp fuse inline for circuit protection.

Reaction score
Mine is similar to that, the larger wire goes to the starter and then the second wire seems to tie back in to the fat wire at the battery terminal and that is on the smaller bolt on the starter.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

Pro-grade cables at a reasonable price. If you do one, I would do both at the same time.

If you see yourself doing multiple cables you can buy a crimper and fittings but a quality crimper would be more $ than just 1 pair of pro cables.

And yea, I dont know why you would have both positives going to the same lug on the starter. The thinner one usually goes to a junction box on the firewall, or the Alternator output post.