1992 5.7 TBI crank, fuel and spark no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ham? Ick.

Question: WHY is "ham" different from "Pork"?
Answer: "Ham" is kinda-sorta pickled. Preserved. Salted.
Question: Why is "corned beef" the same color as "ham"?
Answer: Because it's kinda-sorta pickled. Preserved. Salted.
Qustion: Why doesn't "corned beef" have corn?
Answer: "Corning" is the name for the process used to preserve/salt the meat. Ever heard of "Corningware"? Their original products were the cookware needed to preserve meat.

This time of year, I'd go for "New England Boiled Dinner", aka "Corned Beef and Cabbage".

Pretty simple, worst part is peeling the potatoes. Well, that and paying for the corned beef. Around here, corned beef brisket is triple the price it used to be. And the included spice packet is smaller. Bastages.

Carrots (2 lb bag)
Potatoes (5 lb bag)
Onions (2--3--4--more depending on size and your preferences)
Cabbage (One Big Head)
And of course your corned beef brisket...or two. I almost never do "one" any more. Which then gives you two "spice packets", one for the meat in the pressure cooker, one for the veggies. The meat is salty enough, no need to salt the veggies. I rinse the meat quickly before boiling.

I've gotten so that I pressure-cook the corned beef and one spice packet separately. Biggest mistake people make--including me up until a couple years ago--is to not boil the brisket(s) long enough. If what you take out of the pot is not fall-apart tender, or has all sorts of gross rubbery honey-comb connective tissue...you didn't cook it long enough. Maybe an hour in the pressure cooker, 15-20 psi. Will depend on altitude, size of the briskets, etc. It's not like you can over-cook the thing. Better too-long than not long enough. (Warning: most pressure cookers are aluminum, and intended for canning, not "cooking dinner". If the aluminum is corroded--at all--the food tastes like corroded aluminum. Non-aluminum pressure cooker strongly preferred. Or just cook the meat longer in a normal bigass pot. 12--16 quart)

Turn off the heat, let the pressure subside. Then strain the yuck out of the water. Use the strained, flavorful water, plus additional water if needed before you start boiling the sliced carrots and quartered (or smaller--bite-size) potatoes with the meat and the second spice packet, probably in a bigger pot instead of the pressure cooker. Let the meat, carrots and 'taters cook, add sliced onion and sliced cabbage toward the end. Some folks throw everything together in the pot, cook it all at once--but the cabbage will be a soggy mess and the meat and carrots will be under-done. You can "time" the cooking by how finely you slice the carrots and potatoes.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, at least give the meat a head-start in the bigass pot before straining the water and adding veggies. Cook until potatoes are done.

Trim the fat off the meat AFTER cooking. If the meat has cooked long enough, the fat will practically peel off cleanly. Slice the meat across the grain.

Serves a small horde. Prepare for "leftovers".

Apoligies for thread-crapping.
About 20 years ago we were doing a siesmic retrofit job at a fairly well known Bar/Grill place.
We ran over schedule and were still onsite when they showed up to prep for St Paddys day.
The "Chef" hadnt taken any of the corned beef out of the freezer to thaw.
Solid like a brick.
They ran them through one of those huge commercial dishwashers just to get the plastic off with the hot water.
Then they chucked them in the microwave and kept pulling them out and beating the crap out of them with a meat hammer.
Then they boiled them.
Meanwhile, they have been boiling all of the potatos and veg for at least two hours before they added the beef.
21 bucks for rubber band soup.
we were just drinking at the bar and watching the whole episode.
It was so bad I could have sold a toothpick for 20 bucks.

This guy also put taco salad on the menu one day but only had broccoli.
He served brocolli taco salad with chorizo and beans.
A good day for plumbers.
A really bad day for housekeeping staff.
Yes they are out of business and the world is better for it.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ham? Ick.

Question: WHY is "ham" different from "Pork"?
Answer: "Ham" is kinda-sorta pickled. Preserved. Salted.
Question: Why is "corned beef" the same color as "ham"?
Answer: Because it's kinda-sorta pickled. Preserved. Salted.
Qustion: Why doesn't "corned beef" have corn?
Answer: "Corning" is the name for the process used to preserve/salt the meat. Ever heard of "Corningware"? Their original products were the cookware needed to preserve meat.

This time of year, I'd go for "New England Boiled Dinner", aka "Corned Beef and Cabbage".

Pretty simple, worst part is peeling the potatoes. Well, that and paying for the corned beef. Around here, corned beef brisket is triple the price it used to be. And the included spice packet is smaller. Bastages.

Carrots (2 lb bag)
Potatoes (5 lb bag)
Onions (2--3--4--more depending on size and your preferences)
Cabbage (One Big Head)
And of course your corned beef brisket...or two. I almost never do "one" any more. Which then gives you two "spice packets", one for the meat in the pressure cooker, one for the veggies. The meat is salty enough, no need to salt the veggies. I rinse the meat quickly before boiling.

I've gotten so that I pressure-cook the corned beef and one spice packet separately. Biggest mistake people make--including me up until a couple years ago--is to not boil the brisket(s) long enough. If what you take out of the pot is not fall-apart tender, or has all sorts of gross rubbery honey-comb connective tissue...you didn't cook it long enough. Maybe an hour in the pressure cooker, 15-20 psi. Will depend on altitude, size of the briskets, etc. It's not like you can over-cook the thing. Better too-long than not long enough. (Warning: most pressure cookers are aluminum, and intended for canning, not "cooking dinner". If the aluminum is corroded--at all--the food tastes like corroded aluminum. Non-aluminum pressure cooker strongly preferred. Or just cook the meat longer in a normal bigass pot. 12--16 quart)

Turn off the heat, let the pressure subside. Then strain the yuck out of the water. Use the strained, flavorful water, plus additional water if needed before you start boiling the sliced carrots and quartered (or smaller--bite-size) potatoes with the meat and the second spice packet, probably in a bigger pot instead of the pressure cooker. Let the meat, carrots and 'taters cook, add sliced onion and sliced cabbage toward the end. Some folks throw everything together in the pot, cook it all at once--but the cabbage will be a soggy mess and the meat and carrots will be under-done. You can "time" the cooking by how finely you slice the carrots and potatoes.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, at least give the meat a head-start in the bigass pot before straining the water and adding veggies. Cook until potatoes are done.

Trim the fat off the meat AFTER cooking. If the meat has cooked long enough, the fat will practically peel off cleanly. Slice the meat across the grain.

Serves a small horde. Prepare for "leftovers".

Apoligies for thread-crapping.
And Thank You for that recipe.
That is great information.
Every year is some type of a damn corned beef struggle.
At first Andrea fought it because she thought it was the thing to do for an Irishman.
I thought she was doing for some familly tradition.
Im not Irish. Im an American with Canadian and Scots.
Shes from poland.
Why are we doing this ?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because it's good stuff! :waytogo:
Tis a thing that can be great
Also a thing that can be horribly wrong.
So I will draw this little line in the charcoal.
We are not Irish, We have no need to eat chewy crap with cabbage just so we can manage to digest it.
Nobody in all of Ireland would ever eat our Paddys day crap.
Therefore, and in support of all of my Irish bretheren.
I vow to from this day forward to barbeque a porterhouse for each and all of us while drinking some Jamesons Irish whiskey.
And I also declare that I will incorporate traditional cabbage in the recipe by chucking it into the neighbors back yard.
(They have chickens, it will be awesome)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh. I can't touch Jameson; the rye gives me a nasty headache. I'll drink some Killians' instead.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I
Ooh. I can't touch Jameson; the rye gives me a nasty headache. I'll drink some Killians' instead.
ts just the chemical reaction that causes the headache.
For every shot of the Irish you need one Guinness.
This chemically bonds to yer spine and brain and makes all things grand and
amazing.