1992 5.7 TBI crank, fuel and spark no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, a crate engine just means that several chimps took a maybe sketchy short block and stuffed it in over a period of 6 months and 62 cases of beer and then farted around with it trying to get it too run.

Hey now! Take it easy on the chimps! They're Waaaayyy smarter than the goofuses? goofusi? Whatever, that worked on Frank before me!
They bought a crate motor twenty years ago, then robbed the cam and heads off it and threw on another cam and heads. Then they spun a bearing and replaced the crank and rods. Then it overheated and cracked the block and they swapped everything into a new block. But it's the same crate motor.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I clean fouled plugs with a propane torch. You just cook them until all the fuel is burned off.

Fair Warning! They will stay too hot to touch waaayyy longer than you think they should.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They bought a crate motor twenty years ago, then robbed the cam and heads off it and threw on another cam and heads. Then they spun a bearing and replaced the crank and rods. Then it overheated and cracked the block and they swapped everything into a new block. But it's the same crate motor.
Back in high school a friend of mine bought a 67 chevelle.
No engine but it came with 3 blocks and and several cams and cranks.
He put one of the blocks, and some random cam into his moms bathtub while she was out of town and just cake frosted the whole mess with naval jelly and left for two days.
We show up a few days later and the cam wont go into the block.
Hes beating it with a friggen 5 pound hammer.
Its a ford 351 cam and hes trying to stuff in a 327 chevy.
He got it out by hanging the cam off of the garage rafters and hitting the block untill it dropped off.
He actually put this thing back together and sold it as "rebuilt engine"

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep.
And dont forget about the part where it sits for a few years and they get a whole bottle of Jack and decide to blow it full of either while twisting the the distributor and it kinda sorta runs.
That means more either, more throttle, more Jack Daniels.
But if it is carbed, you have to turn every screw 27 times.
If it has a kickdown linkage,
You really need to manage to loose that.
Any chump can plug a vacuum line with a golf tee.
What you really want to do is run some drywall screws into the vacuum ports.
( Yep, saw it last week)
The best plan is always to throw random parts in the bed and ***** about why its a piece of ****.
Cuz GM is known for adding things you dont need just from pure corporate generiousity.
A used reman or rebuild is kinda like christmas for a poor kid.
All amped up and excited.
Then you open the box and its a turd.
A high mile freshley painted crate turd.
The whole new engine, new trans new whatever blah blah blah is just the latest version of old lady only drove it to church on Sunday.
Wow, thinger2. I'd say you have a bad attitude, but it pretty-much matches mine.

I may be damaged goods, but this web site said "I'm Awesome" for awhile, so I keep coming back. (Now it just says I'm supporting my member.)
Yes, I can be be a bit old and cranky.
I have put a whole lot of thought and effort and many years of experiance into perfecting my rotten old cranky bastardness and I do believe Ive gotten quite good at it.
I also suspect that you are not quite the rotten old ******* that you present as yourself as either.
That doesnt mean that we are going on a date.
We are not gonna take hot soapy showers together and Im not gonna buy you ice cream.
But you have my sincere and deep respect.
I have background sniped a whole lot of knowledge off of your posts and that knowledge kept me off of the tow truck and the ******* bus.
All of that is awesome.
Thank you.
I am still not sending you a cake Shurkey.
Maybe some ******* cookies but thats it!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SHHHHH! I don't want my secrets to get out.
Ah ha!
I knew the cookies would do it!
Andrea just made pepper jelly with cream cheese and basil and sun dried tomatoes.
I know this has nothing to do with anyrhing but my god they are awesome.
Its on friggen homemade ciabatta bread for gods sake.
So what am I gonna do tomorrow?
What Im gonna make her a friggen ham sandwich?
The pressure .
I think ill chump out of the whole deal with ....
"Pizza Time"
Cuz driving to get it is ths same as making it right?
Geez.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Im gonna make her a friggen ham sandwich?
Ham? Ick.

Question: WHY is "ham" different from "Pork"?
Answer: "Ham" is kinda-sorta pickled. Preserved. Salted.
Question: Why is "corned beef" the same color as "ham"?
Answer: Because it's kinda-sorta pickled. Preserved. Salted.
Qustion: Why doesn't "corned beef" have corn?
Answer: "Corning" is the name for the process used to preserve/salt the meat. Ever heard of "Corningware"? Their original products were the cookware needed to preserve meat.

This time of year, I'd go for "New England Boiled Dinner", aka "Corned Beef and Cabbage".

Pretty simple, worst part is peeling the potatoes. Well, that and paying for the corned beef. Around here, corned beef brisket is triple the price it used to be. And the included spice packet is smaller. Bastages.

Carrots (2 lb bag)
Potatoes (5 lb bag)
Onions (2--3--4--more depending on size and your preferences)
Cabbage (One Big Head)
And of course your corned beef brisket...or two. I almost never do "one" any more. Which then gives you two "spice packets", one for the meat in the pressure cooker, one for the veggies. The meat is salty enough, no need to salt the veggies. I rinse the meat quickly before boiling.

I've gotten so that I pressure-cook the corned beef and one spice packet separately. Biggest mistake people make--including me up until a couple years ago--is to not boil the brisket(s) long enough. If what you take out of the pot is not fall-apart tender, or has all sorts of gross rubbery honey-comb connective tissue...you didn't cook it long enough. Maybe an hour in the pressure cooker, 15-20 psi. Will depend on altitude, size of the briskets, etc. It's not like you can over-cook the thing. Better too-long than not long enough. (Warning: most pressure cookers are aluminum, and intended for canning, not "cooking dinner". If the aluminum is corroded--at all--the food tastes like corroded aluminum. Non-aluminum pressure cooker strongly preferred. Or just cook the meat longer in a normal bigass pot. 12--16 quart)

Turn off the heat, let the pressure subside. Then strain the yuck out of the water. Use the strained, flavorful water, plus additional water if needed before you start boiling the sliced carrots and quartered (or smaller--bite-size) potatoes with the meat and the second spice packet, probably in a bigger pot instead of the pressure cooker. Let the meat, carrots and 'taters cook, add sliced onion and sliced cabbage toward the end. Some folks throw everything together in the pot, cook it all at once--but the cabbage will be a soggy mess and the meat and carrots will be under-done. You can "time" the cooking by how finely you slice the carrots and potatoes.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, at least give the meat a head-start in the bigass pot before straining the water and adding veggies. Cook until potatoes are done.

Trim the fat off the meat AFTER cooking. If the meat has cooked long enough, the fat will practically peel off cleanly. Slice the meat across the grain.

Serves a small horde. Prepare for "leftovers".

Apoligies for thread-crapping.

Last edited: