1991 blue interior carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yes I agree. The fact that it wasn't molded properly was the problem. I never did get all the wrinkles out.

A tip. Just in case you ever do another set.
If I have probs like that, I'll always get the front of the carpet to fit as well as I can & then work the wrinkles towards the rear & in towards the center of the floor as much as possible. That way they're under the seats, where nobody will ever see. Center consoles can be used to help hide a lot too.
Left upside down in the sun for a couple of hours helps soften up the carpet. A steamer helps removing wrinkles too, &/or carefully with a heat gun.
I use an 8oz. rubber mallet to beat carpet into position. (submission?)The carpet can actually be stretched with the pounding & molded to the floor pan, beyond what the manufacturer did in their process.
Especially right in that inside corner where the tunnel/floor/toeboards converge. Get those two points right & the carpet can be worked from there so that the footwells fit nice. After that, any fitment issues can be usually be hidden. Sometimes it takes repositioning a few times, but those two points on either side of the tunnel shouldn't be moved.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is the dark blue. It’s lighter than the sample you showed. Why don’t you try carpet dye. You can use a steel brush to try and comb out the burn marks. The dark blue dye will hide a lot of issues. I wouldn’t spend the money on a carpet kit.

Take the carpet out of your truck and pressure wash the carpet. Scrub it with carpet cleaner then pressure wash it again. Then hang it out to dry. Reinstall. that’s what I do to my carpet. My 89 still has the original carpet. To freshen it up I may get some dark blue dye and dye the carpet.

NCTyphoonKid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is the dark blue. It’s lighter than the sample you showed. Why don’t you try carpet dye. You can use a steel brush to try and comb out the burn marks. The dark blue dye will hide a lot of issues. I wouldn’t spend the money on a carpet kit.

Take the carpet out of your truck and pressure wash the carpet. Scrub it with carpet cleaner then pressure wash it again. Then hang it out to dry. Reinstall. that’s what I do to my carpet. My 89 still has the original carpet. To freshen it up I may get some dark blue dye and dye the carpet.

I would consider reusing it had it not had a aftermarket cupholder screwed all into it in the transmission hump.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would consider reusing it had it not had a aftermarket cupholder screwed all into it in the transmission hump.

was it cut or just screws? I had a small center drink holder no hen I removed it yiu couldn’t really see whalers the screws went. You should be able to fluff it back out with a carpet rake. I would put a small center console there anyway, these trucks don’t have any real storage. Unless you’re doing a resto mod to factory stock And the carpet has burns or has huge missing patches or it’s rubbed through the backing witha bald spot I woild try the cheap route of trying to refurbish it. If you can get it looking presentable for 30/40 bucks hold off. Someone may be parting one out or yiu may find a clean one at the junkyard.