1990 K3500 work in progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

virginiaguy76

Reaction score
Off the showroom floor. 1990 K3500 Silverado, 7.4, TH400.

You must be registered for see images attach

Finally at home, but the transmission, oil and water temps were just too high.

Last edited:

virginiaguy76

Reaction score
Transmission cooler radiator lines delete:

Long Thu Cool coming off of another Derale 16 pass cooler for the TH400. Radiator trans cooler has been plugged, lines deleted from the engine compartment and new PTFE 6AN braided lines ran. Temps stay well below 180F. This one is at the rear of the truck bed. I recently welded some brackets and added a fan to this. All lines were wrapped in DEI thermal wrap.

One of the Derale coolers for the TH400 under the center of the bed. There are three coolers total.

New radiator with Jegs Dual thermostat controlled fans mounted. Shroud+fan w/ clutch removed. Oil cooler radiator line delete is next.

Just finishing the oil cooler bypass. I used a Moroso bypass with 10AN PTFE hoses to a Derale 16 pass cooler. Oil temps are not a problem anymore even when towing in the summer.

Oil temps and trans temps within tolerable ranges after climbing several hills. Pressure looking good as well. Getting the transmission fluid and oil away from the radiator helped bring the water temps into a better range. Ditching the bulky and inefficient fan+clutch also helped a ton. The Jegs fans on the radiator kicks in just at 195F.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What filter is under the bed? Is that cooler mounted in front of rear bumper? What was your thought process for mounting the coolers where you did?

virginiaguy76

Reaction score
What filter is under the bed? Is that cooler mounted in front of rear bumper? What was your thought process for mounting the coolers where you did?

It is a Moroso 23760 with a AC Delco Pro oil filter. I now have a Napa/WIX 7791 fleet filter under there for added protection. The rear cooler is mounted from the rear bed frame rail to the trailer hitch. I mounted them under the bed to keep the extra heat from the lines+side tanks, etc out of the engine compartment. Given they all have fans, I did not want to clog up the front of the radiator either. Since the 7.4L engine compartments run so hot anyways, I wanted to remove whatever I could that generates heat from the compartment as well. It offered a nice reduction there.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What were your oil and trans temps before and after? Ya know a lockup torque converter does wonders to keep a trans cool. ;) As soon as my converter unlocks I can watch the gauge climb. Thankfully it's tuned such that that rarely happens. If the motor ever decides to run hot, there is a bigger radiator. I'm surprised they didn't give it to you being a 3500 with a 454. Those trucks had a thick radiator like yours, but a few inches taller.