1990 K3500 SRW NP241 to BW4401

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently fixed up a 90 K3500 RCLB with a 454 and SM465 trans with around 290k miles. While it still shifts decent, you can tell it has some wear as it makes a lot of noise. While the SM465 would likely make it many more miles, I plan on using this on the highway often, so I decided to pick up a NV4500 out of a '92 dually cab and chassis truck that had low miles.

It came with a BorgWarner 4401 transfer case which I would like to use as well, but wanted to get some info before trying to make it fit (unfortunately 1990 was a year where SRW 3500s got the standard NP241 instead of the BW case).

Potential issues with fit:

While the front output appears to have the same companion flange as the original NP241, the rear output has a fixed yoke output instead of a slip yoke, and I am unsure if a new output shaft or tailhousing is needed to make it work.

I have done a little research and it seems that the torsion bar crossmember may need to be modified or swapped for the dually one (which I don't have)

It also has an extra pigtail for some kind of synchronizer which is wired through a relay, but I think I can figure that out via the wiring manual. I am also not sure if the VSS is the same between the two cases.

I also have the shift linkage for it, but it would be nice to leave the existing linkage in place if they are the same.

If anyone out there has answers or knows of threads that have useful information related to these issues for this swap (or why it might be a waste of time!), it would be greatly appreciated!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know the answer, but I have a stock, late GMT 400 K3500 SRW with the BW4401 if you need some photos of the setup.