1990 K1500 front axle snap ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in process of replacing the front differential seals on my 1990 K1500. Both axles came out OK with the tap of a soft mallet and I was able to get the new seals in OK. Now when re installing the passenger side axle, it wont go all the way back in. It's engages the splines correctly but seems about 1/8" in shy of it's correct position and doesn't snap in. Using a flash light I can see the snap ring where it should be.....Any thoughts or recommendations on how to resolve? Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue. Your input is appreciated.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first I would confirm that the new part matches exactly with the old part. Measure the stub length and the distance from the end to the snap ring groove on both. When I did mine a couple years ago, I believe it took a few whacks with rubber mallet to entice them past the snap ring resistance.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A shim sits between the gears that engage the 4x4. It can drop when that passenger side axle comes out and won't let the axle slide all the way back in. You'll have to drop the tube and get the shim back in place. If not your 4x4 will not engage.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first I would confirm that the new part matches exactly with the old part. Measure the stub length and the distance from the end to the snap ring groove on both. When I did mine a couple years ago, I believe it took a few whacks with rubber mallet to entice them past the snap ring resistance.

Thanks for your response. Other than the seals there are no new parts . As noted the axle came out with ease but Will not go back in. I am worried about hitting it too hard

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A shim sits between the gears that engage the 4x4. It can drop when that passenger side axle comes out and won't let the axle slide all the way back in. You'll have to drop the tube and get the shim back in place. If not your 4x4 will not engage.

You were right. Thanks for your response! Turns out I damaged the shim and had to order a new one. This is really a stupid design on GM's part. The shim should have been designed to stay concentric to the assembly so it can't fall out of position. For anyone else doing this job, beware. If you have the differential assembly out of the truck you should remove the axles with the diff in a vertical position to prevent the possibility of the shim / washer slipping out of position. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

You must be registered for see images attach

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it may take decades of wear before this issue happens. Never had it happen when I was tearing up these trucks as a kid in the 90's.

The last several years I've seen it happen alot. The snap ring wears out and allows the pass axle to slide back a little, then the shim falls and the 4wd can't engage. It's a good idea to replace the snap ring if you have the axle out to avoid a headache down the road.

Mark Allen

Reaction score
I think it may take decades of wear before this issue happens. Never had it happen when I was tearing up these trucks as a kid in the 90's.

The last several years I've seen it happen alot. The snap ring wears out and allows the pass axle to slide back a little, then the shim falls and the 4wd can't engage. It's a good idea to replace the snap ring if you have the axle out to avoid a headache down the road.

Burn Hedge where do you get the snap ring and shim My truck has been at a shop 4 2 weeks says he cant find 1 thanks

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If you are having a problem getting the axle to go into the snap ring sometimes the axle needs to be deburred on this end. If you use a roloc cleaning disc and follow the chamfer it will make installation much easier

Ssgt Frady

Reaction score

Thats why Mine wouldnt engage . And you can see clearly On the shim where someone forced it back in . Ive been trying to find a replacement shim for it since I bought the truck almost a year ago . There is also another shim/washer on that passenger side axle , Any Idea where I can Buy those ?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Thats why Mine wouldnt engage . And you can see clearly On the shim where someone forced it back in . Ive been trying to find a replacement shim for it since I bought the truck almost a year ago . There is also another shim/washer on that passenger side axle , Any Idea where I can Buy those ?

They are still available from GM. I just bought 2 of them last week..