1990 K1500 CV Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brady

Reaction score
90 K1500 RCLB Cheyenne 350/5spd

Driver's side axle is tore up. Picked one up @ Advanced Auto Parts without checking it first. This is what they gave me.
You must be registered for see images

What is the silver toothed ring on the wheel side? As you can tell, my busted one doesn't have that. So I assume I was just given the incorrect one?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I've done a few on my Burbs,remove the ring by cutting it somehow.I use a die grinder,a hacksaw use carefully works as well.Once you've cut through the ring a flat screwdriver in the cut and the ring will slide off(it's a press fit).

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wheel speed sensor tone ring for abs. If it fits the knuckle without any interference then it will probably work fine however to be safe I'd just have them swap it out with the correct cv axle.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will 99% of the time fit with no issues.. I've done so many of them at work lately in that year range and all the replacements had the tone rings on them. I removed non of them and they all work just fine with no interference issues.

sent from what use to be a great nation...

Brady

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll see if he's got one without the ring, if not, guess I'll just throw it in there and let it be. That kinda stuff just bugs me tho.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best part (as pertaining to the cv's)about the design of these year trucks is you can change the cv axle with out disassembling the whole spindle and brakes or anything much really.... unbolt the large nut and the bolts holding cv to axle flange and take off that side sway bar link and it will come right out.. for those that didn't know the simple way.....lol.

sent from what use to be a great nation...

Brady

Reaction score
Apparently all the CVs (from Advanced anyhow) for that truck have the tone ring. Part maker covers all the trucks with the one design.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Correct. You can knock it off with a hammer and punch. It don't press fit that tight.

Brady

Reaction score
Fitment is fine. R & R of the CV is pretty gravy. Frustrating part was dealing with the sway bar end link. My sway bar must be bent because the EL was a pita to remove. Hard to get a good line on the bottom through the lower control arm. Ended up cutting the old one out and replacing with new. It was due anyway. Thanks peeps.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Hard to get a good line on the bottom through the lower control arm. Ended up cutting the old one out and replacing with new.

Its not your sway bar. Its a PITA to get any of the links on these trucks to line up with the hole in the arm.