1990 K1500 Auto to manual swap transmission option help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawk1122

Reaction score
Hey all, my transmission went on my 1990 k1500 (5.7). So instead of getting another auto, gonna go for a manual. I've been doing as much research as I could but cannot find anything concrete about which 5 speed transmission can fit my 350tbi. I currently may have the option to purchase pretty much the whole swap, but it's a nv3500 from a 97. And I've heard both that a later model nv3500 can fit the earlier 350 TBI's, and I've heard that later nv3500's won't fit and I need to find a '95 down nv3500 to fit my '90. I'm aware I need a 4x4 transmission and how I'm gonna go about doing the rest of the swap. But I just cant get a 100% on what transmission I could go with. I would hate to end up buying this whole setup I have available to me right now, only to find out the transmission doesn't fit, and would hate to pass up on it just to find out that I could've went with it. Would appreciate the help, thanks.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I know its recommended to stick with the era when going from NV3500 to NV4500 to keep the same master and slave setup but since your going from auto to manual, you'll need everything new anyway. Your fine with the newer version especially if you have a whole donor truck for the swap.

hawk1122

Reaction score
I know its recommended to stick with the era when going from NV3500 to NV4500 to keep the same master and slave setup but since your going from auto to manual, you'll need everything new anyway. Your fine with the newer version especially if you have a whole donor truck for the swap.
I’m figuring it should all bolt up fine because at the end of the day it is still a 350 whether it’s fuel injected or TBI. The only real concern i have is the guy that is selling the whole setup is saying the bell housing changed as well as the slave cylinder location on the 97. I’m just concerned that will not let it fit for some reason but might just be my thinking. This guys always seems to be wheeling and dealing these year chevys and says it should work with my year. In reality i won’t really lose out on money because if the transmission doesn’t work i still have everything else for the truck, and will just have to trade/sell this transmission and get one for my year, so i think i might just go for it

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Your year would have an external slave cylinder and the 97 has an internal slave cylinder. As long as you buy stuff like flywheel, clutch, TO bearing, slave cyl, master cyl, etc for a 97 you'll be golden.

hawk1122

Reaction score
Your year would have an external slave cylinder and the 97 has an internal slave cylinder. As long as you buy stuff like flywheel, clutch, TO bearing, slave cyl, master cyl, etc for a 97 you'll be golden.
Gotcha so other than that difference everything should bolt right up engine wise? (Obv after i cut out the sheet stamp in the floor)