1990 k1500 700R4 truck won’t move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990k15004x4

Reaction score
I have a 1990 k1500 I’m doing a restore on. I got the engine running (350) I pulled a 700R4 out of my 91 k1500 that I had rebuilt recently. I fired the truck up put it in gear and nothing truck doesn’t move in any gear. I put it in all gears and tried pushing the truck and everything acted like it should. I have checked everything multiple times now. I did pull the transmission lines to see if fluid was pumping and nothing came out. Anyone have any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest that the transfer case was in neutral, but that wouldn't account for no fluid flow out of the cooler tubes.

Pump broken (Maybe due to incorrect installation of the torque converter?)

Torque converter not bolted to flexplate?

1990k15004x4

Reaction score
I was going to suggest that the transfer case was in neutral, but that wouldn't account for no fluid flow out of the cooler tubes.

Pump broken (Maybe due to incorrect installation of the torque converter?)

Torque converter not bolted to flexplate?
My guess is I messed up and didn’t install the torque converter properly the first time and trashed it.

It’s bolted to the flex plate first thing I checked

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My guess is I messed up and didn’t install the torque converter properly the first time and trashed it.

It’s bolted to the flex plate first thing I checked
yes it probably wasn't seated properly and you've damaged the pump. will need to be pulled out and torn down. i always take a straight edge against the bell housing and measure to the converter pad should be 1" if properly seated. once installed the converter should not be hard against the flexplate, if it is it is not seated correctly. finally you want 1/8" to 3/16" "pull out" if the distance is greater you will need to shim. if the distance is less your converter is built wrong or you can try a different flex plate.