1990 GMC Sierra Street/Strip Build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the front suspension pulled apart. New control arm bushings, ball joints, all new steering components, etc going back in hopefully tomorrow.. oh, and v8 motor mounts... hopefully get the motor and trans set in sometime this week...

You must be registered for see images attach

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got tied up doing other stuff, but finally finished the control arm bushings and got the front springs cut. From what I read, cutting 1 inch of height off the spring, will lower the truck 2 inches. I cut 1.5 inches off the springs, and I would say I needed up with right at a 3" drop... I think it sits pretty good.

I still have to do the steering part (pretty much all the suspension and steering parts will be new), but I had to toss the wheels back on real quick to see how she was going to sit... I made my bro n law sit in the engine bay to load the suspension up a bit... still doesnt have shocks up front either...

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Frame, the underside of the cab, and the engine bay have all been cleaned up and painted. Pretty much all-new suspension and steering components throughout. I'm going to cut the x-brace off the back of the frame, and replace it with square tubing so I can mount my fuel cell back there... Then I can toss the bed back on. Then I can start on the actual LS swap.

I can't wait to do a paint correction on this thing. I know it won't come out perfect, but I think the old girl has some shine left in her. Florida trucks FTW! It's never seen salt or snow, and never will.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the 5.3 apart to gap the rings. The motor looks pretty dang good until I got to the bearings, which were trashed. The crank had some very light scratches I could barely feel with my nail. I think a polish would take care of it, I need to drop it off at the machine shop sometime to have them check it over.... Eventually I'll do that and replace the bearings, hone the cyls, gap the rings, and toss it back together for a back up...

But for now I found a good deal on a lq4 6.0. I got it mostly pulled apart, but didn't pull any caps off yet to check the bearings, hopefully they look decent... It's a gen 3 block with gen 4 internals, should be perfect for what I'm doing.

I'm hoping to check the bearings on the 6.0 tomorrow, and get the rings gapped. If all looks good, I'll start tossing it back together. I got a full gasket kit for the 5.3, I think I can use everything from it except the head gaskets. I'll order some ls9 head gaskets IF the bottom end continues to look good.

I also order some long tube heads from schoenfeld, and should have pretty much everything I need to get the engine running n/a, which is how I'm going to run it for the first few months. I decided I'm going to sell the gt45 and get a better turbo, new hp goal is around 1000ish with the new turbo...