1990 GMC K1500 restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know in your area, probably $20 + for those pellet ones because they are first gen, could be more....

I didn't handle the money part of it, I cut them in half with a shear and plasma for the newer cast iron / steel ones.

There is currently no recycling market on the aftermarket converters.

Call around to the junkyards or scrap yards to get a quote....

Last edited:

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the day off and got to work on getting things put back together under the hood.

Installed a new heater hose
You must be registered for see images attach

New studs to mount the fan onto the water pump (I didn’t realize the new pump would not come with these, had to make an extra trip to the parts store!)

New radiator and hoses

New oil cooler lines and filter

And a new air filter

Hoping to start it this weekend after buttoning up a few more things.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You seem like the kind of guy that does it right, so thought I would share the OEM spark plug wire routing. https://imgur.com/RoknrPo

Interesting, they don’t show the two wire retainers at all in that image. I like the way I ended up routing it, did you see something that I am missing?

And yes, I do like doing things right! :)

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, they don’t show the two wire retainers at all in that image. I like the way I ended up routing it, did you see something that I am missing?

And yes, I do like doing things right! :)

Your way is cleaner and does make sense. However, OEM method on the Driver side brings cyl 5 from the top of the fwd most quad retainer and crosses behind 1 & 3. Here are a couple better diagrams from my 1990 manual (https://imgur.com/G5A59QD) (https://imgur.com/fuWn4pn). I read somewhere sometime ago that that wire routing was important on these ignition systems.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had the day off and got to work on getting things put back together under the hood.

Installed a new heater hose

New studs to mount the fan onto the water pump (I didn’t realize the new pump would not come with these, had to make an extra trip to the parts store!)

I remember always having to transfer studs from the old water pump. And I’ve always been OEM replacement parts only.
New radiator and hoses

New oil cooler lines and filter

And a new air filter

Hoping to start it this weekend after buttoning up a few more things.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you able to fire it up last weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried but it didn't start! I've checked all of the obvious things (spark and fuel). Right now I am thinking it must be timing related. Perhaps I put the distributor in 180 degree off? I was going to do more troubleshooting this weekend.