1990 C1500 ABS (RWAL) removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have my 92 Silverado 1500 apart for a full rebuild.
Have suspension back together and am going to do this.
I have to get new dust plates.
Am I correct in assuming we no longer need ABS sensors if we do this mod?
It's a $40 difference in parts.
Thanks.

You don't have ABS sensors. Why not just run without the shields?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know. I feel like the shields help protect the bearing seal. Probably just in my head.
I did end up going with just the shields w/out sensors.

I hadn't thought of that, was really just considering the brakes themselves which do fine without the shields.

Chapp

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that, was really just considering the brakes themselves which do fine without the shields.
Yeah, if it was just the rotors it would be one thing. I'll let everyone know how the shields fit. There is a gap between the knuckle and the back of the rotor where part of the bearing seal is exposed. It seems like the shield fills that gap.

Chapp

Reaction score
I took a picture with the rotor on and no brake shield.
You must be registered for see images attach

The rotor is on top and knuckle on bottom.
The red is the metal of the seal and the black rubber is partially exposed.
That's about a 1/4" to 3/8" gap. Enough for something to get caught and possibly rub/cut/wear the rubber on the busing. At least in my head.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way to deal with a spongy pedal on the 95-2001 trucks with the Kelsey Hayes 4W-ABS is to command an autobleed using a Tech2 after a pressure pot bleed pushing fluid through the system.
I have a clone Tech2. After hoisting the Jolly Roger and downloading Memory Card Explorer abandonware and the available GM binary linear flash card images. I burned a couple flash cards on my old HP NX7400 with a PCMCIA slot.
The Autel Maxsys tablets or older Snap On tablet tools might be able to talk to the 95-01 GM trucks but it's a crapshoot. For some reason the 2nd gen T400 & the ST trucks of the same vintage have some strange interactions with a lot of diag tools.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The 95-01 Kelsey Hayes 4WAL quick tech reference card for brake bleeding is near the bottom of my service manuals post.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xpbea...S_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf/file

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 k3500 with the enormous 4wal. Has anyone used this wilwood adjustable prop valve?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 k3500 with the enormous 4wal. Has anyone used this wilwood adjustable prop valve?

I have something similar in my race car. What's the question? You trying to kill off some rear bias?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The question is, will it work well to eliminate the abs system?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The question is, will it work well to eliminate the abs system?

Looks like it ought to do from my phone, but you'll have to plumb it obviously. If you want a near bolt on solution you can pick up some lines and valve from a TBI era truck in the bone yard.