1990 5.7 TBI EGR delete pit falls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For highly turbocharged diesels EGR is essential for NOx control but on our lightly stressed sparkers I'm not a fan.
Yeah, they originally developed the EGR valve for gas engines because they couldn't meet NOx requirements.

Out of interest, in the sub 50% TPS region where EGR is activated, what percentage of air flow is admitted?
FWIU it varies depending on how much Oxygen is detected by the O2 sensor. The ECM will pulse the EGR module to maintain its AFR demand. Even if you don't have an SES light, the rolling dyno will fail your vehicle for high NOx.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Yup. I had a dremel years ago. I burned it up porting a rotary engine. I replaced it with a Ferm electric grinder that's about three times the size of a dremel. Works great and has both a 1/8" and a 1/4" chuck. I just wish it had a longer, narrower nose. https://www.amazon.com/Ferm-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Cutting/dp/B00KYVL4B4

I'm trying to duplicate how he opened up the combustion chamber around the intake valve. You really have to be careful to work the outline first, and not try to dig down into the chamber. It's really easy to dig too deep. I'm not going to rework the ramps, but I am smoothing the angles and humps right behind the valves.

I "think" all I'm going to do is clean up what the MFG missed under the valves, smooth the "lip" out of the valve pocket area and round off the lumps where the spark plugs protrude. Like I said just "clean them up" a bit.

Ken

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIU it varies depending on how much Oxygen is detected by the O2 sensor. The ECM will pulse the EGR module to maintain its AFR demand. Even if you don't have an SES light, the rolling dyno will fail your vehicle for high NOx.

This is where it gets a bit confusing.
With AFR there is a lean flammability above which the mixture will not ignite with a spark. The excess of air implies an excess of oxygen.
EGR contains no oxygen so shouldn't have any effect on AFR from the oxygen content perspective.

From the Wiki page:
''In a typical automotive spark-ignited (SI) engine, 5% to 15% of the exhaust gas is routed back to the intake as EGR. The maximum quantity is limited by the need of the mixture to sustain a continuous flame front during the combustion event; excessive EGR in poorly set up applications can cause misfires and partial burns''
And that kind of puts the kybosh on leaner mixtures - or you're adding to your initial flammability problem.
(With EGR it obviously isn't an excess of oxygen leading to a 'lean flammability' limiting condition but EGR does inhibit initial combustion and therefor only the additional dilution can be the cause - preventing the oxygen from the intimate contact with fuel that it requires (fuel attached to EGR not oxygen requires more fuel to find the oxygen)).

Stoich for gasoline is an AFR of 14.7. You are at TPS sub 50% running AFR of 16.7. 16.7/14.7 = 1.14. You are providing 14% excess air to reduce throttling losses which compares very well with the quoted '5% to 15% ' of EGR in the Wiki article.

My conclusion is that EGR is used to mitigate throttling losses not because it is necessarily more effective but because (due to running AFRs closer to stoich) the fuelling is easier (and possibly the combustion products the cat has to deal with).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sole purpose of EGR on a gas motor is to reduce NOx emissions. If NOx wasn't a concern, you could lean mixtures out and get both great fuel economy and minimal hydrocarbon emissions. In the '60s and '70s NOx pollution in the northeastern US was so bad that we were getting acid rain. If you went out in the rain, the next time you washed your clothes they developed holes and fell apart.