1990 5.7 TBI EGR delete pit falls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I'm 99.999% sure if I just block off the EGR I will get a code thrown and the check engine light will be on. What can I do to stop having a code thrown?

I'm thinking down the road for an engine build. I would like to use a "better" intake manifold and delete the EGR. I DON"T want to spend $500 on a aftermarket intake with the EGR port in place.

I'm looking at an engine that will get great fuel mileage and still have more HP than stock. I'm NOT looking for ultimate HP and RPM. Just a great running everyday street engine that will give a little fun if called upon to do so.

Ken

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm 99.999% sure if I just block off the EGR I will get a code thrown and the check engine light will be on. What can I do to stop having a code thrown?

I'm thinking down the road for an engine build. I would like to use a "better" intake manifold and delete the EGR. I DON"T want to spend $500 on a aftermarket intake with the EGR port in place.

I'm looking at an engine that will get great fuel mileage and still have more HP than stock. I'm NOT looking for ultimate HP and RPM. Just a great running everyday street engine that will give a little fun if called upon to do so.

Ken
Get a tune, they can remove the EGR check. A tune is going to make a big performance difference from what others have stated, so you'll likely want it anyway with any new power add ons. There's an intake plenum spacer that has some good reviews as well for Vortecs, have you looked into that as an alternative?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Yes you will have the light on. It does take the TBI computer a long time to figure it out, but it will after a medium length drive. You could burn a custom chip to just turn off the code if you wanted.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a tune, they can remove the EGR check. A tune is going to make a big performance difference from what others have stated, so you'll likely want it anyway with any new power add ons. There's an intake plenum spacer that has some good reviews as well for Vortecs, have you looked into that as an alternative?

Sorry, just realized you stated a 1990 model year, disregard intake plenum spacer comment above.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put your money into the Summit aluminum heads for TBI, keep the stock intake, keep the EGR. Zero-deck the block before assembly.

I'd post a link, but the Summit web site is down.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I deleted the EGR and added Hyway Lean Cruise on mine. I left the EGR valve on the manifold but deleted it in the .bin then, a couple weeks ago I removed it and installed a block off plate and guess what, it idles better! Even though it's a fairly new valve, it must have been leaking somewhat.

I'd post a link, but the Summit web site is down.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/make/chevrolet

Here's what I have, some modification needed for accessories braces and brake booster but went in pretty easy.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3704

kenh

Reaction score
I deleted the EGR and added Hyway Lean Cruise on mine. I left the EGR valve on the manifold but deleted it in the .bin then, a couple weeks ago I removed it and installed a block off plate and guess what, it idles better! Even though it's a fairly new valve, it must have been leaking somewhat.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/make/chevrolet
Here's what I have, some modification needed for accessories braces and brake booster but went in pretty easy.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3704

OUCH! $400 for an intake..... Had to research the lean cruze thing. That is interesting!

Put your money into the Summit aluminum heads for TBI, keep the stock intake, keep the EGR. Zero-deck the block before assembly.

Different heads are pretty much out of the question. It's a $ thing. Been researching tuning up the stock 193 heads. It looks like just a good clean up removing flash and ridges left from the factory machining process gives some very satisfactory results.

Sorry, just realized you stated a 1990 model year, disregard intake plenum spacer comment above.

There is a spacer for the TBI that is said to be a worthwhile investment. Best is the open spacer so the TBI can feed both sides of the manifold.

I do plan on a tune after I settle on all the parts I'll be sticking into this engine. As I said I'm not looking for ultimate HP. So a TUNE should just be a slight modification of timing and a tweak of the fuel management.

Thanks for all the input!

Ken

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

OUCH! $400 for an intake..... Had to research the lean cruze thing. That is interesting!

Different heads are pretty much out of the question. It's a $ thing. Been researching tuning up the stock 193 heads. It looks like just a good clean up removing flash and ridges left from the factory machining process gives some very satisfactory results.

There is a spacer for the TBI that is said to be a worthwhile investment. Best is the open spacer so the TBI can feed both sides of the manifold.

I do plan on a tune after I settle on all the parts I'll be sticking into this engine. As I said I'm not looking for ultimate HP. So a TUNE should just be a slight modification of timing and a tweak of the fuel management.

Thanks for all the input!

Ken
Awesome, can you never post on that color again? That is quite difficult to read.

kenh

Reaction score
Awesome, can you never post on that color again? That is quite difficult to read.

For me it is easy to read. maybe different screens "see" different. But then I'm on using a 21" screen

Ken

EDIT; Went back and changed the color just for you!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For me it is easy to read. maybe different screens "see" different. But then I'm on using a 21" screen

Ken

EDIT; Went back and changed the color just for you!
On my phone, it's not easy on the eyes. It's downright painful. Samsung note 10, so it's not a low quality display, and I'm not terribly old, early 30's. I don't think it's the screen, I think it's using your laptop and a browser vs using the Tapatalk app with a straight white background. Here's a screenshot for reference
You must be registered for see images attach