1989 Standard cab step side build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AgentYager

Reaction score
Figured I would use this since I can document how this ugly thing is coming along.

I'll make it a short beginning:

Bought the truck for $1100

Clutch didn't work, drove it home 25 miles with no clutch and killing my hand in the process. The truck runs like trash on the way home.

I get it home and it sat for a few days as work calls.

Finally started to figure out why the clutch didn't work, figured out that the engine and transmission were never properly bolted together, they apart about a half of an inch which would explain the clutch problem. Bolted them back together and replaced some missing bolts, the clutch work pretty decent though the engagement is a little rough. Ok it drives but still runs like trash.

the day I brought it home.

You must be registered for see images attach

I absolutely hate the front tires since they're 195's stretched on a rim that's too big for them. Not sure who is in to this crap. The interior is pretty nice but it needs a cleaning.

I had to rip out quite a few rigged wires for numerous lights and general garbage the previous owner installed.

Removed the paint on the lenses on the front and the ugly hood pins, have to weld up the holes though. Also removed the front license plated holder since it's needed and it's just cluttering up the front end.

Replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter and rebuilt the TBI unit, it runs a hell of a lot better at idle but still refuses to go over thirty percent throttle still. Checked the codes, getting a code 43 which according to most of the crap I find on the internet, this is the knock sensor circuit. Further research tells me that this could be a bad sensor or the spark control module could be missing the knock sensor signal. Another thing could be the ignition wires interfering with the signal since they're right on top of the harness. Have to do some wire management and repair some wires under the hood.

Took off all of the vinyl decal on the front windshield and rear windows.

Found out the source of the power steering leak, someone installed the hose right up against the reservoir and and kept rubbing against each other (oh my) to the point where a hole formed in the reservoir. Have to figure out something with that.

Radiator leaks and looks like it came out of a junkyard, Another thing on the list.

Rust!

The cab corners both have holes in them from rust, the rocker panels are rusted out on both sides. The bottom of the doors are rusted. Probably end up getting new doors but for now, they close and don't look any where near as bad as the rockers.

Dropped the fuel tank in hopes of finding something wrong in there as to my code 43 issue. Pump looks like it's been replaced and the line isn't split or anything. The sock was a little dirty but not enough to inhibit fuel flow. Found quite a bit of rust between the tank and frame. Nasty looking but repairable.

The worst of it is the front tank support where it bolts to the frame and the front spring perch

Still yet repairable.

AgentYager

Reaction score
Started removing things in the engine bay so it can be painted, decided to ditch the smog pump and lines since the line in the back looks like the brazed joint came apart and it was just open. Probably another reason it runs like trash.

Painted the engine bay in gloss black. The front portion of the frame will be black as well but I will use a different paint since paint is thinned too much to make heavy coats like I want.

Started surveying some more rust.

Not sure if this piece provide and more structural support but either way, it's coming out since it's one of the worst parts and why put a spare tire under the truck when I have a truck bed? Speaking of truck bed, the beams underneath are by far the worst in the rust department. Not sure if the bed will stay unless I can come up with some way to replace the beams.

This truck was obviously a northern truck from all of this rust, also looks like maybe had a leaking brake line and it just stripped off any protection from the drivers side of the truck since the passenger side looks mint.

More to come as I slowly tackle my project.