1989 speed sensor and instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you mean to post that link, or a different one? It's for swapping the 88-90 cluster for a 91 (the three-wire-move), and also calibrating the speedometer on 88-91 clusters using the GM "progamming kit" - which is an obsolete part. Nobody mentions modding it for a DIP switch by the way, which is a write-up I did a while back: https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I say it's way easier. I mean you gotta solder in the jumpers, may as well solder in a DIP switch instead. In my experience, calibrating the speedometer often takes a couple tries of settings to get it the most accurate. Way easier to do so with a DIP switch than having to move jumpers you just soldered in. Same way I'd approach a 92-95 with the external DRAC module.

Richard

35olds

Reaction score
My speedo gauge goes out randomly. After that happens a short while later the check engine soon light illuminates. Possibly the ABS light, too but I can't tell since it is disabled atm.

I see the speedo gauge go out always when the headlights are turned on. Which makes me think that there is a ground issue with the cluster.
I alao noticed that the battery gauge reads a bit high , so does the fuel gauge and oil gauge. Which mkes me think that there could be some resistance issues within th cluster.
Has someone be able to remedy this , yet?

My 88 Chevy Truck had this issue , Looking all over the net I found a solution that worked . I bought and installed a new speed sensor . So far it has fixed the issue . I found solution on a you tube site . Bob

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you mean to post that link, or a different one? It's for swapping the 88-90 cluster for a 91 (the three-wire-move), and also calibrating the speedometer on 88-91 clusters using the GM "progamming kit" - which is an obsolete part. Nobody mentions modding it for a DIP switch by the way, which is a write-up I did a while back: https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Richard

Thank you, that wasn't the link I was trying to post. Same forum, just completely different page...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=678396

Post #6 was the one I meant

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was thinking about this a little more, Does your vehicle use a speedometer cable? I realize you don't have one on the back of the cluster, but under the hood is there one that runs to an optical sensor?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I was thinking about this a little more, Does your vehicle use a speedometer cable? I realize you don't have one on the back of the cluster, but under the hood is there one that runs to an optical sensor?
Nope - from cluster pic in his other post, it's an '89 GMT400, not some carry-over squarebody model. Speedo is all electronic, fed from VSS in his transfer case.

Richard