1989 Silverado Ignition Cylinder Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This style of column (94-older GMT400's) was used in a LOT of GM stuff, and a few other brands too (Jeep for example) - I've replaced tumblers in more of 'em than I can recall. Won't turn to ACC position is pretty common. Had another where it wouldn't turn off. Pretty easy job.

Richard

mine was so bad the keys would fall,out. I could start it without the key. I finally said ok enough is enough ordered door locks and ignition and did it all in a afternoon.

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I’m rehashing this thread for a problem I’m having. My ignition can turn without a key, bought a new cylinder that came with new keys (different key for door, but don’t care) after install…wait for it….it can still turnover without a key. What now?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ok, I’m rehashing this thread for a problem I’m having. My ignition can turn without a key, bought a new cylinder that came with new keys (different key for door, but don’t care) after install…wait for it….it can still turnover without a key. What now?
What year truck?
Some years, the ignition switch is on the base of the column. The newer ones, it's a piece inside the upper column, that the lock cylinder goes inside.
That may be bad, or there's a problem in the wiring harness somewhere. Linkage in the column may not be in the right place.... there's several things that could be suspected.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From your intro post I recall the truck is a 1996 model (also easy to assume 1995-up since that's first year for one key door/ignition.) Sounds like truck may have been stolen in the past and the column is damaged.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like truck may have been stolen in the past and the column is damaged.
+1. It used to be that you could just jam a screwdriver into the ignition and turn it hard enough to bust the lock, and then you wouldn't need a key. A friend of mine in college lost the keys to his Chevy Celebrity and just broke the column instead of fixing it.