1989 Silverado Ignition Cylinder Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay so awhile back my ignition stuck & it stuck while it was running so I pulled the coil wire. After one of my cousins messed with it, he got it unlocked but it would turn over without the key. & since I'm trying my damndest to get the ole gal fixed back up, I found an ignition cylinder like mine in storage. Me & my brother have bought & tore down several (10+) of these body styles the past few years, for parts.
Questions.
A. Do you think this is likely to fix my problem? I do wanna get the ole girl back up running, but with the ignition fixed. Lol
Videolink for reference
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
B. The dash wiring is pretty messed up, do yall recommend taking my time & possibly just getting a whole new column n everything for it? I'm truly dishearted by all the problems I ran into with this truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of all the GM cars and trucks Ive owned in 40+ years, this is the only one I had to change the lock cylinder on because the key got stuck in the lock cylinder, had to buy a new one off EBay, ( made in Taiwan) I bought new to keep the black key because I have another GM car with all brass keys...( not to mix them up ) If the lock cylinder looks exactly the same , it should work, otherwise get a new one at your local parts store.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, you do need the lock plate installer tool to compress it to get the wire retainer back on, I used to do with out it back in the day , but now I have it so not to struggle so much being a old fart.Bought it Harbor Freight back when I lived in AZ, here everthing is a fortune or takes forever to get in the mail........

Carefull with the horn wire, mine broke (plastic) and had to get new one...

Good luck on your job, its not too hard...

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Clean and adjust the ignition switch while you are at it. If it moves freely and all the detents match up you're fine. Generally if the Accessory position works o.k. the rest will be o.k. too.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally if the Accessory position works o.k. the rest will be o.k. too.
I drove my 88 for years without being able to switch back to Acc until I swapped out the key cylinder. As mentioned above, real easy with the proper tools, took about 20 minutes. Now it works like it did 33 years ago, LOL

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This style of column (94-older GMT400's) was used in a LOT of GM stuff, and a few other brands too (Jeep for example) - I've replaced tumblers in more of 'em than I can recall. Won't turn to ACC position is pretty common. Had another where it wouldn't turn off. Pretty easy job.

Richard