1989 looking for fuel pump suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to replace the in tank fuel pump soon. are there any suggestions for a pump? I don't want buy a plastic carrier, so I try to find a pump by itself.
Are there any good plug and play pumps?
thank you all for your help here

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'89 uses a separate pump anyway, not the plastic trash can assembly like mid-97-up. Go with AC Delco or Delphi, although most are gonna be overseas outsourced crap now - you can hope that those brands have better QC than others. TBI pumps aren't expensive anyhow, so better to get the brand name instead of saving a couple bucks on others.

Richard

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going with ac dell or delphi. or maybe bosch. But is there a specific part or part number that's recommended?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Check Rock auto. They have good pricing and it helps to buy several things at once to cut down on shipping costs. The ac part is EP386 for about 60 bucks and the Delphi part is FE0115 for about 30 bucks

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Rock auto. They have good pricing and it helps to buy several things at once to cut down on shipping costs. The ac part is EP386 for about 60 bucks and the Delphi part is FE0115 for about 30 bucks
I checked rock auto before posting here. they have a crappy fuel pump and one that bolts to the frame.So neither are an option.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I checked rock auto before posting here. they have a crappy fuel pump and one that bolts to the frame.So neither are an option.

I don't understand, I just posted two different pumps from rock auto. they show to be in stock for an 1989 chevy truck

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending if you want to get more HP out of your TBI engine you may want to go with a Vortec Pump, it is an exact cross over and fits perfectly. Just gives you 155L/Hr instead of the anemic TBI pump. Make sure you change the fuel filter, suction strainer, and clean the ground contacts as well. With this pump I've run as high as 28PSI with 61LB/Hr injectors and as low as 15PSI with 80LB/Hr 7.4L injectors, IMO it'll run at OE pressure ~11-13PSI Here's the part #s and prices I paid last year, (still holding pressure and performance)

Fuel Pump ADO-EP381 AC Delco 155lph (for Vortec TBI) Summit Racing $69.99
Fuel Filter KNN-PF_1000 K&N Summit Racing $11.99
Suction strainer ADO-TS6 AC Delco Summit Racing $8.99

A snap shot of it running @28 PSI...
You must be registered for see images attach

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@evilunclegrimace I don't know what I did, but when I looked at rock auto again I saw a whole bunch of choices that haven't been there before.
I cleaned the grounds and new fuel filter before already hoping it would help. I guess a new pump is the last effort.
I think I'll go with an ep 381