1989 K3500 8.1 Liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I wondered why the sensor had 3 wires but only used two of them on this engine. I had debated replacing that sensor but noticed it was worth a small fortune. The 2001 sensor was considerably more expensive than a 2003 one though. I ended up grabbing a connector off of a 1994 C1500 and ordered a sensor for the same thing. I had to use a bushing to make it fit. It did fix my temperature gauge though. It reads the same as the scan tool as it warms up now. The wiring is only temporary while I made sure it worked before a permanent fix.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. There has not been much to report. I think I am close to done with the truck. Hopefully just maintenance from here on out. This picture is it loaded up heading to the drag strip. It towed very well. It had triple the power the 454 TBI did. I was even able to pass slow cars. I have not filled the truck with gas since but it used just over 1/2 a tank on a 4 hour round trip. I was happy with that which was better mileage than the 454 got. I just bought a short box 2WD 2001 Silverado that will be my next project. I also got asked to wire up and get running a 1996 K1500 with a 8.1 liter. I will post some pics of it when I get a chance. The link is for the Impala at the drag strip.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
Thanks. The car was faster. The only change was the weather. Every year a bunch of friends and I rent the track. This year the date was late. We were worried about the weather but it ended up being perfect. There was a little bit of sun off and on to keep the track warmish. The temperature was about 13 Celsius or 55 Fahrenheit. Every other year it has been full sun and 35 Celsius or 95 Fahrenheit. I think humidity was a big factor also. The dense air was great. I was car 5/5N. They didn't have much for Tech so they didn't add an "N" until they realized I had nitrous. The one time slip has my best time and the other has my best reaction time. I was still using a 100HP shot of nitrous. Same 20 year old engine. I really wanted to hit it with a 250HP shot but the track officials would have had a heart attack. I still don't have a cage.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn brother!! You got that car flying now. Love to see those big cars moving out. I went to LS fest this year.... my car ran a 11.22 on motor right off the trailer. Wish i could get my car down in the 10s.

Eric Sorenson

Reaction score
Planning on doing similar swap on my 97 2 door tahoe. Currently 5.7 vortec, nv4500, 14 bolt govlock rear, 9.25 welded front, 4.10s 6" susp lift and 3" body lift on 37s. It's an offroad toy, but I also tow with it a lot as well. I really like my NV4500, but I have my eyes on a wrecked 02 avalanche. if I got that I'm thinking of just swapping everything over, complete drive line, complete wiring harness, complete dash, and possibly the axles if they're 4.10s. i just have a few questions without doing much research.

1) Motor mounts, does the 8.1 use the same mounts as the 454 bbc?

2) Fuel pump, i didn't read what you did for fuel system. i was thinking about getting a 98/99 tank and sender unit, and using the pump from the avalanche, will the stock fuel lines provide enough volume?

Your truck is inspiring and looks like you've done an excellent job on it so far.