1989 K3500 8.1 Liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I modified the frame to fit the A/C compressor. I was going to use the A/C compressor off of the 454. I could make brackets to fit it onto the 8.1L the real concern was the belt tensioner. I could not get it to go around the A/C compressor and hold tension on the belt properly. The frame mod seemed easier.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
I had to modify the shift linkage to work with the newer transmission. The 4L80E was meant to be shifted with a shift cable. The 4L80's of the early 90's had linkage and used the neutral safety on the steering column. I needed the range switch on the transmission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I modified the frame to fit the A/C compressor. I was going to use the A/C compressor off of the 454. I could make brackets to fit it onto the 8.1L the real concern was the belt tensioner. I could not get it to go around the A/C compressor and hold tension on the belt properly. The frame mod seemed easier.

I ddin't know the 8.1L had the compressor way down low. That reminds me of a Cummins swap.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How much of an asspain was the 4L80 linkage? Was it just the little bit on the trans shift arm where I can see the gusset?

Reaction score
The first image is the linkage off of a TH400 and early 4L80. The second image is the shift cable and arm on a 2001 4L80E. The third image is the shift arm on a 4L80 from a 1991 k2500 6.5L. I basically took part of the bend out of the shift arm and had to shorten the frame linkage.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"This is awesome. Probably something you're doing already, but I'd recommend a tune if you hadn't thought about it. Seems like all these gm truck tunes can be improved upon."

I have put a wideband in it and have input it through the old EGR feedback wire. I plan on tuning the AFR and spark. I use HPTuners.

Having the egr sensor location available for a wideband is pretty handy. Not sure how well versed you are with HPT, but if you need any input or want to bounce ideas around just PM me. Good work so far.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to modify the shift linkage to work with the newer transmission. The 4L80E was meant to be shifted with a shift cable. The 4L80's of the early 90's had linkage and used the neutral safety on the steering column. I needed the range switch on the transmission.
Nice looking swap!

This might have breathed new life into my ‘87 S10 Blazer LQ4 swap. Other projects have taken priority, but transmission linkage is something I’ve struggled with. I have zero interest in a floor shifter.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ddin't know the 8.1L had the compressor way down low. That reminds me of a Cummins swap.
Not all of them do! My 8.1 had the same compressor as a Vortec 350 or 454 mounted in the same place. It had a 2nd aftermarket compressor and aftermarket mount sitting backwards next to the factory compress. It also had dual alternators mounted to the passenger side.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You do not need that at all if you are using HP Tuners and do not have the neutral safety switch wired through it. I eliminated it on my G-van with the 8.1 and the 6.0L van. Just go into the systems setting tab and set P/N switch type to NONE. The transmissions internal pressure switch will then control all gear selection for the PCM.