1989 K3500 8.1 Liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Building this to tow my car and trailer. Didn't like the way the 454 TBI worked. Set up is 8.1 Liter, 4L80E, and NP263HD. Still working on finishing the 8.1L harness and modifying and adding to the truck wiring harness.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
"Why not use a 6.5L harness?"

I couldn't figure out how to make it fire the ignition coils. LOL.

The harness that comes with the 8.1L runs the engine, transmission and some of the transfer case all with the same computer. The PCM communicates with the TCCM. Modifying this harness seemed easier and I already had it.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is awesome. Probably something you're doing already, but I'd recommend a tune if you hadn't thought about it. Seems like all these gm truck tunes can be improved upon.

Reaction score
"Well optioned 1 ton K/C regular cab/long box SRW trucks are hard to find. I'd need a towel if that was a stick shift lol."

I thought about an NV4500 and was dreaming about an NV5600 but the 4L80E was easy. It will do the job I need and bring the RPM down better than the TH400.

Reaction score
"This is awesome. Probably something you're doing already, but I'd recommend a tune if you hadn't thought about it. Seems like all these gm truck tunes can be improved upon."

I have put a wideband in it and have input it through the old EGR feedback wire. I plan on tuning the AFR and spark. I use HPTuners.

Reaction score
The original transfer case shifter would not clear the electrical plug on the 4L80E so that is why I went with the electronic transfer case. The oil cooler lines from the 8.1 liter were leaking at the factory crimp so I removed the crimp and welded on AN fittings. I am using -10 line to replace it. The radiator had oil cooler lines in it already. The lines at the radiator are steel A/C lines that I modified.