1989 Chevy 350 out- 1994 Chevy 454 in - got a question now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
So the 454 is in. Had to use the 94 engine harness. Can someone point out what these wires go to?
Tried to fire up the engine , but no fuel, one of these wires must be to the fuel pump.
I will replace the dash harness for the 94 harness, too. But shouldn’t the truck fire up without that right now?
The ECU is from the 1994 ,too.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a rag with some brake clean and clean up the wires very well. Then tell us what color the wires are, including any stripe color. And are the wires from the 94 harness or the 89 harness?

Last edited:

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel pump is triggered by both a oil pressure signal and a distributor signal. The purple wire with white stripe is in a 4 pin plug that plugs into the distributor.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it is the horn wire.
The fuel pump is activated by the ignition Key and runs for three seconds or so, without the engine running.
We didn’t have that at first.
With the dash wires and fuel pump wiring from the donor truck it fired right up

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After swapping the fuel pump harness and the dash harness, the engine fired right up. So now most of the wiring is from the 1994 k2500, while going on a drive , I noticed the Speedo doesn’t work and the water temp gauge doesn’t work . Does the 94 have a different speed sensor than a 89.
I never saw the Speedo work, but I think the water temp gauge worked.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the Speedo doesn’t work and the water temp gauge doesn’t work
The 94 used a separate DRAC or VSSB where the 88 - 91 used a VSS signal converter on the back of the cluster.

The temp sender is on the driver's side head between #s 1 & 3 so, you need to trace that wire to the gauge cluster.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the temp sender is in front by the thermostat. I’ll check between 1 and 3 tomorrow.
You did read where I said that I M using the 94 dash wiring harness. It had a white box connected. I thought that is theDRAC

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the temp sender is in front by the thermostat.
That one feeds the ECM/PCM the one in the head feeds the gauge.

You did read where I said that I M using the 94 dash wiring harness. It had a white box connected. I thought that is theDRAC
That may be but, is the VSS wire hooked up to it?