1989 3500 4x4 454 in the UK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtyninety

Reaction score
I've read the RPO codes in the glove box and it is what I expected, the truck was originally a red fleetside SRW! This also says its a MM4 which is the sm465 gearbox. So its definitely had the clocks swapped at some point as it has the automatic gear display thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also has this sticker in the glove box

So unless the rear axle has been changed, it should be a 4.10 14b FF axle?

I snapped a photo of the carb, from googling the numbers its a 750cfm Edelbrock that looks fairly new!

Its currently snowing here in the UK, the motivation to work on anything isn't great!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's a full floater, but it doesn't look like a 14 bolt. Could be a Dana.

Yeah, I think that's the Dana 70 axle that some of the early trucks got.

OP, count the bolts on the cover... I bet it's 10. Also, I'm not seeing the bolt in pinion support on the pionion yoke side, but the angle and parking brake line makes it hard to see.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
After 30+ years, there's no telling how much parts swapping has been done on some of these trucks! That's why the "experts" need to see pictures and RPO codes ( regular production options). Then you know what it started out as, and go from there.
As long as the glovebox RPO sticker VIN and the VIN number on the truck's dashboard agree anyway.

Ian Andrew

Reaction score
I've managed to find a new windscreen in the UK so hopefully get that picked up in the next few weeks. Only think I can't find on rockauto is a replacement light for the quad head lights. Im wondering if you can directly swap them for the single unit ones?

Can you tell me how you have your lights wired, so everything flashes/doesn't flash like it should here?
Good day from New Zealand . You can find the lights from LMC trucks. They're great but their freight costs are higher as they are more Central USA. Cheap local but dearer exports.

Dirtyninety

Reaction score
I've finally got the new engine put in my Nissan so I've found a little time to play with the 89 this week.

I lifted off the bent and cut up bed.

To give me this.... look how well attached the rear bumper is

There was random, badly welded pieces of rod, angle, bolts and plate everywhere. The wiring for the rear lights wasnt good either, no wonder they didnt work.

short work for the 9"

Now just got to start hammering the chassis back into shape at the rear. other than this the chassis is really good and only light surface rust. I was worried importing a Nebraskan truck.

It has a D70 rear axle like you guys said too!

Today I took i drove it round to jet wash the America off the underside of it and Im a bit suspect that there may well be a rod knock. or a fairly loud chatter from the sm465. Got to pull the engine to do rear crank seal so will inspect and repair as i dig deeper. Still very happy with it!

Dirtyninety

Reaction score
My order from RockAuto finally came today, and I've started fitting or atleast trying to fit the new door handles. I bought these https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8618064&cc=1053177&pt=1288&jsn=3

They don't even nearly fit, not a chance theyre going to work. The cover with the switches on doesnt even "click" into it properly because the slots are too big. utter junk. Im not even going to bother fitting the other side. So whilst i do now have an interior door handle... the window switch panel is just hanging out!!

Does anybody have the part number for the door trim clips?

I moved onto the next job of replacing the ignition barrel and it seems you need to remove the steering wheel.
Does anybody know the thread for the bolts i need to pull the wheel off? Everything I have is metric!

Gearhead1

Reaction score
Two things I notice from the photos: 1. The carburetor looks to be bolted through a Quadrajet (spreadbore) adaptor plate to a cast iron intake manifold, and the valve covers are the older design where the bolts go through the gasket area instead of through the center. The engine must have been swapped from an older truck. 2. The photos show a vacuum brake booster. I thought one ton GM trucks came equipped with hydro-boost brakes.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
My order from RockAuto finally came today, and I've started fitting or atleast trying to fit the new door handles. I bought these https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8618064&cc=1053177&pt=1288&jsn=3
They don't even nearly fit, not a chance theyre going to work. The cover with the switches on doesnt even "click" into it properly because the slots are too big. utter junk. Im not even going to bother fitting the other side. So whilst i do now have an interior door handle... the window switch panel is just hanging out!!

Does anybody have the part number for the door trim clips?

I moved onto the next job of replacing the ignition barrel and it seems you need to remove the steering wheel.
Does anybody know the thread for the bolts i need to pull the wheel off? Everything I have is metric!
If I remember correctly ( haven't done this job in a few years) the older GM columns have 3/8" USS coarse threads in the steering wheel hub; two holes across from each other, that the wheel puller bolts thread into, to support the puller anvil that's pushing against the steering shaft. It's either 3/8" or 5/16" coarse threads.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Two things I notice from the photos: 1. The carburetor looks to be bolted through a Quadrajet (spreadbore) adaptor plate to a cast iron intake manifold, and the valve covers are the older design where the bolts go through the gasket area instead of through the center. The engine must have been swapped from an older truck. 2. The photos show a vacuum brake booster. I thought one ton GM trucks came equipped with hydro-boost brakes.
Engine swap definitely, from '86 or older truck. The Chevy small blocks went to center bolt valve covers and TBI instead of a carb in '87.
EDIT: this is a big block! But the carb/TBI difference still applies.