1988 K3500 454 engine oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnjr

Reaction score
My oil cooler lines on my 88’ k3500 454 are weeping out of the crimp. There is so much conflicting info out as to what the replacement lines are. To be clear these are the lines coming from from the oil filter adapter to the radiator. Could I cut the hose out and put a mew hose with clamps? Is there a compression fitting for the metal line? Thanks

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
There are compression fittings that you can buy. You will need to know the hose size, tubing size and you have to buy a special crimping tool.
It is cheaper to find a shop that makes hoses and have them repair your lines.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Or just get new ACDelco replacements.

The Dorman replacements have aluminum tubing instead of steel tubing.

Looking at Rockauto I'm not sure if they have what he needs... the transmission seems to matter even though it's engine oil and the selection looks slim.

johnjr

Reaction score
I looked on rock auto and it is not clear on the selection. Even Dorman isn’t clear on what to get. Are they under normal engine pressure.?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I looked on rock auto and it is not clear on the selection. Even Dorman isn’t clear on what to get. Are they under normal engine pressure.?
Yes they are under normal engine pressure. Take yours off and match them up at the parts store, or, like Schurkey said buy AC Delco units. The dealership can look them up by VIN, or RPO code.

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's my solution...... don't think you'll get any better

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You defeated the purpose of the male AN by enlarging it all the way through the fitting. You should have stopped halfway and used your homemade adapter just shorter.
The threads into the oil cooler are straight machine threads. By having Teflon tape on machine threads all it does is give false or misleading torque value. They are not a sealing surface.
Or you could have just ordered the correct adapters.