1988 GMC C3500 RCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is as clean as the SPID is gonna get without scrubbing the remaining print off of it. I’m gonna start decoding it.

I wouldn’t go through all this if compnine actually had the VIN listed for a build sheet lol

You must be registered for see images attach
Seeing your code sheet got me curious about mine. Idk if I had ever paid attention to it. Is it uncommon for it to be this legible??

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing your code sheet got me curious about mine. Idk if I had ever paid attention to it. Is it uncommon for it to be this legible??

The one's I've had not really. But I've also readily seen the entire sticker missing or like mine. All depends upon how the vehicle was taken care of and whether the glovebox or wherever the SPID Label was, was taken care of.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the doors have for sure been replaced. The driverside has a label on it with an entirely different VIN. Also IDK if I'm reading some of those codes correctly. 50U says it's Olympic White, but two other RPO codes give me two other colors for a two tone truck.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine bay is just as rough... it’s got the injection pump too. That’ll be coming off, haven’t decided on just running another factory set of manifolds or just going straight up headers. I’m thinking headers and I’ll just drive it like it is for now until I get the moneyz rolling in.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did the previous owner tell you what the story was with all the tape in the interior? LOL I'm glad that you're putting in the time to save the truck before it was too late. Certainly savable but you've got your work cut out for you for sure. Luckily, there's a lot of work there that is just pure elbow grease which is free :)

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the previous owner tell you what the story was with all the tape in the interior? LOL I'm glad that you're putting in the time to save the truck before it was too late. Certainly savable but you've got your work cut out for you for sure. Luckily, there's a lot of work there that is just pure elbow grease which is free :)

He did not. Only thing I got was, it was a guy he knew, the guy needed money and the PO didn't really need the truck but bought it anyway. PO was driving it 120 miles a day at one point and worked in the oil field so hence the mud and trashed interior. The gear shift indicator is even wrapped in that tape.....

Luckily for me, there's a cheap pull a part not too far away, and there's 400's aplenty there.

I'm in the middle of getting the replacement ignition starter switch bolted onto the column so I can see if it'll start with the key.. My dremel is dead so I'm SOL at the moment. Damn screws were 10-24 Machine and I didn't have any. Hardware store didn't have any small enough either.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the starter switch replaced and bolted on, it starts with a key now so no more hokey ass screwdriver.

Also got a new battery for it. Apparently it'd been on the shelf a bit cause it was a bit sluggish starting it. I'm gonna throw it on the charger and let it trickle charge all night.

Someone put Autolite 24's in this 350, totally wrong plug, IDK what's up with that but those will be coming out as soon as I get a little extra money. I also need to check my vacuum hose going to the modulator as the trans shifts late from 1-2 and 2-3.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, it is when the selling price is $2,000 or less haha. That is pointer which indicates the truck might've had a harder life than most. Doesn't help GM put it in a stupid spot, if it had been put on the other side of that compartment they would have held up much better.

This is as clean as the SPID is gonna get without scrubbing the remaining print off of it. I’m gonna start decoding it.

I wouldn’t go through all this if company actually had the VIN listed for a build sheet lol
Good job on cleaning that, I haven't found something which is aggressive enough to remove the schmutz but gentle enough not to take the ink with it. I spy "GMC", your truck started life in Pontiac, MI. I'm kind of partial to trucks made there or in Flint. I also spotted "GT4" so your truck has a 3.73, or it did from the factory. No G80 though. Guess you could try the ole, "Mark the passenger side tire & then mark the pinion, then rotate said tire twice and count how many times the pinion crossed the mark" method to approximate the gear ratio. If it's close to 3.73, your truck could have the original axle. Every one ton truck I've seen has had a full floater. I've only seen one ton vans with semi floaters.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it is when the selling price is $2,000 or less haha. That is pointer which indicates the truck might've had a harder life than most. Doesn't help GM put it in a stupid spot, if it had been put on the other side of that compartment they would have held up much better.

Good job on cleaning that, I haven't found something which is aggressive enough to remove the schmutz but gentle enough not to take the ink with it. I spy "GMC", your truck started life in Pontiac, MI. I'm kind of partial to trucks made there or in Flint. I also spotted "GT4" so your truck has a 3.73, or it did from the factory. No G80 though. Guess you could try the ole, "Mark the passenger side tire & then mark the pinion, then rotate said tire twice and count how many times the pinion crossed the mark" method to approximate the gear ratio. If it's close to 3.73, your truck could have the original axle. Every one ton truck I've seen has had a full floater. I've only seen one ton vans with semi floaters.

Right? And there’s no freaking code for a Semi Floater or Full Floater.. guess I’ll do that eventually. The brake shoes are grabbing on that side anyway so I gotta pull the drum and have a look.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it backed in to my garage, muffler has a hole so my brother wanted to weld my Jones Max Flow stainless muffler on it and finish the exhaust to the rear and over the axle so he's doing that now. Battery was bad so I took it back, hopefully this one will be good. I got a jug of Valvoline a Mobil oil filter and a can of seafoam, gonna change the oil and seafoam down the booster hose. This thing needs the throttle body rebuilt, it's loading up a bit and smoking from running pig rich.

Fixing to start shopping for the cheapest tune-up stuff between Rockauto and Amazon since I have a Prime account lol.