1988 G20 A Team Drift Van - another air pump delete thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanGasm

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm doing a project for a commercial customer and I haven't wrenched on a small block since 2002.

Need some help dressing out the pulley system on an 1988 GMC G20 A-team van replica. We deleted the egr system (chip to be flashed) and removed the air pump. This was a non AC van, so the delete routing pics I'm finding of other air pump deletes aren't applicable. The tensioner setup sits in the detint and creates a rub situation at most angles. I can't find any photos of other setups. Any help?

Is it as simple as a delete idler pulley replacement?

And when I took the stock four groove serpentine belt to the parts store, people told me I had the wrong belt. Is a 4 groove not right?

You must be registered for see images attach

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to put a Idler in place of the missing air pump. There is also a idler made specifically for non-A/C models.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We deleted the egr system (chip to be flashed) and removed the air pump. This was a non AC van, so the delete routing pics I'm finding of other air pump deletes aren't applicable. The tensioner setup sits in the detint and creates a rub situation at most angles. I can't find any photos of other setups. Any help?

Is it as simple as a delete idler pulley replacement?

And when I took the stock four groove serpentine belt to the parts store, people told me I had the wrong belt. Is a 4 groove not right?
1. WHY would you delete the EGR and AIR?

2. COUNT the number of grooves on the pulleys, get a belt to match.

VanGasm

Reaction score
1. WHY would you delete the EGR and AIR?

2. COUNT the number of grooves on the pulleys, get a belt to match.
Because we have flame throwers coming out of the exhaust and the EGR/Air burns unburnt fuel. We need as much of that as possible at the tailpipe. This is a track vehicle with no exaust/emissions requirements.

VanGasm

Reaction score
sounds like fun!
You. Know. This.

I threw the Air pump back in the bracket for now. Will source a replacement idler pulley in the long run or a full bracket/pulley setup to clean the engine up.

Now to get the chip mapped.

VanGasm

Reaction score
This is a hilarious vehicle in all the right ways. Sounds like a blast. Hope we get some videos of this thing sideways with flames shooting out the exhaust.
I promise to drop it here.

When you call the parts store or ask for help from mechanic friends, the conversation kinda goes like this.

Me: I bought an A-Team Van

Them: No ****!!!

Me: We're gonna drift it...

Them: Tell me more.

Me: Flame throwers in the exhaust.

Them: Yes!!!

This van is simply meant to bring smiles to faces. Pretty sure we're going to accomplish that goal Really appreciate this community and all of the content to help us get the mission accomplished on a budget.