1988 chevy Silverado engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The bull

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals new to the site . I have a 88 Silverado 4x4 that I would like to swap engine and trans for my 16yr old son . But not sure which yr would be best and what works best and best sources for wiring harness thanks for all and any help

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine and trans do you have in it now? Do you want to keep the TBI system or upgrade to something newer like Vortec or LSx?

The bull

Reaction score
It is a350 was thinking LS but too much money and work wanting something simple what have you all done

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to go is with an engine and trans from 88 - 91 which has the 700R4/4L60 trans that doen't have "electronic controls". Sometime in 92 GM switched to the 4L60E (IIRC) which takes a whole different wiring harness and PCM. The issue is, these transmissions are temperamental and don't hold up well when driven hard. If you go to a newer year (92 - 95) and a 4L80E trans you'll have an almost bullet proof set up. The engine can be from 88 - 95 TBI or, if you want to go to a Vortec 96+ system, you'll need the corresponding wiring harness and PCM.

Are your engine and trans shot or can you just simply fix them and throw 'em back in?

The bull

Reaction score
It ran fine then the engine dropped a cylinder bought a used motor from a guy out of a van installed too find out the rings are stuck this was 2\3 yr ago now my son wants to fix and drive just trying to getting going for him thanks for any help or advice looking for easy fix and best

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It ran fine then the engine dropped a cylinder bought a used motor from a guy out of a van installed too find out the rings are stuck this was 2\3 yr ago now my son wants to fix and drive just trying to getting going for him thanks for any help or advice looking for easy fix and best

Explain "dropped a cylinder" please. Broken piston? burnt valve? Maybe you and your son could make a project out of diagnosing and repairing the original engine?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
16 year old? 4.3 V6. No V8s for teenagers is my rule.

The TBI era V8's are dismal, nothing to worry about there. I had a '94 Grand Am 4 banger as a first car. It had a gas pedal and so I floored all the time. Still ended up going over 110 on the freeway. So no matter what ya give your kid, if they're into cars, they'll find a way to push the envelope. I miss that car. Can't find another one though, it's like they just expired after 2010.