1988 C1500 can’t find big enough ball joint HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73L48

Reaction score
Hi to all, member for some time, never posted.

This may have been discussed previously so please forgive me if is a second go around.

I went to replace my LBJ on the passenger’s side, pressed the old out, went to rock auto and ordered K6445. It came and as I pushed it up into the LCA, it slid thru until the collar hit the control arm. Smaller diameter than the old and can’t find the correct size.

Weird thing is, I ordered a kit on eBay in 2014 and replaced those LBJs and they pressed in just fine. The listing and seller are not on eBay anymore.

So has anyone run into this issue and found the explanation/solution?

Side note: I’ve tried 6445, 6117, 6029, 9362 and potentially a couple others. The 6029 is from a 2500 in 87. The thought being it’s a mid-year body style change, so maybe leftover parts from 87 were out on my 88.

Digital calipers say real close to 59mm. Every one I’ve tried is too small. Even tried the G10 application.

Help help help lol. Sorry for the book, thanks in advance

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It looks like there are two different parts.... Moog also has a K6293 that's listed on Rockauto for an 88 C1500. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing diameters.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The K-series trucks have three designs for the lower control arms. Each control arm design takes a different ball joint. There's a bolt-on ball joint, and two sizes of press-fit ball joints.

But I have no idea how the 2WD control arms are built; or how many versions there are.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3rd set of lbj's. You say the new one is too small, but you didn't say in fell in the hole either. The new one is 59mm. What's the old one measure at? Me thinks the LCA lost it's press fit.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck had a big hole on one side and small hole on the other. My research at the time showed I had a K1500 lca on one side and a c1500 on the other.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that to be even possible.
By research, I meant scrolling through various ball joint specs on rockauto. Ya know, like a scientist :rotflmao:

I had matching new ball joints, one pressed in like it’s supposed too and the other was significantly smaller than the other.

Edit: I’m realizing now that it wouldn’t be possible. The k1500 had torsion bars right? Either way, when I measured the bigger one, it matched the size of a k1500

73L48

Reaction score
Are you sure your control arm isn't the culprit?
Not 100% sure, but 1), the previous kit that I installed in 2014 accepted the new press fit ball joint, and 2), I beat the bad ball joint out and that measured very close to 59mm. I would be surprised if the hole opened up to not accept a new one.