1988 C1500 can’t find big enough ball joint HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get where you’re coming from man, but I’m still stuck in the shop owner safety mindset of liability and “recommended practices” I personally have never experienced one popping out, but have seen what happens when a ball joint stud breaks and a lower control arm mounting u-bolt fails on the older square body one tons.
Two tack welds on the skirt isn't going to heat-treat the stud, and replacement press-fit ball joints popping loose isn't a rare problem.

The installer needs to be aware of how much force it's taking to press in the new joint, and if it goes in too easy, the control arm is junk. Add into the mix companies that are buying up junkyard arms, installing new ball joints, and selling them to retailers. It doesn't take a genius to work a press, so they don't put their best and brightest on the job.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The installer needs to be aware of how much force it's taking to press in the new joint, and if it goes in too easy, the control arm is junk. Add into the mix companies that are buying up junkyard arms, installing new ball joints, and selling them to retailers. It doesn't take a genius to work a press, so they don't put their best and brightest on the job.

This is the first time, I've heard it suggested comapanies are buying up used control arms. I'm under the impression that new control arms are new made overseas products, much like new alternators and starters.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I bought "refurbished" control arms for my RX-7. I assume some small shop in California was tossing new ball joints in junkyard pieces and selling them for half of the new price. The vendor I bought them from swore they'd never had any problems with them. My ball joint popped loose on the first drive, and when I mentioned it on the RX-7 forum a few other guys said they'd had the same problem with them.

A quick google search shows there are "refurbished" control arms available for plenty of applications.

73L48

Reaction score
DO NOT WELD IN A LOWER BALLJOINT. EVER.

Sounds like you need a Moog K6445 balljoint per the Moog website. Previous version that has been superseded apparently is the 6293 number but I see you keep referring to a 6239 part number. Here’s a screen cap from Moog website and I’ve included the link where it shows to fit many GM vehicles.

Thank you, I appreciate the clarification, and I’m guessing I switched the 3 and 9